vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Caches?

Thanks for the idea! I have a plan.....!

I think I will start by putting a micro on Brdad's front lawn.

Go ahead; just get permission from the boss.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Wife?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Go ahead; just get permission from the boss.
    Does she share your views on too many caches?

Default Tourism

Having done a variety of caches, from GRC runs to hiking (and failing) into Gulf Hagas for one, I'd say the type of caching I do depends on my mood. I like having the options though. I still think that there is a lot of opportunity out there for the State of Maine to use Geocaching as a draw for tourism. I know that it has been discussed in Augusta, and I'd like to think that our state has enough natural wonder (and caches) to advertise and draw in revenue.

I've heard of a few landowner complaints, and a few caches taken in by M.D.O.T. but I think the percentage is really low. Heck, if I owned a business, I'd put one on my property as a draw. I remember looking at a map of Provo, Utah and seeing so many caches that it look almost a minute to download. (I had a flashback to my old 14.4 modem) I think that as long as they are maintained well, then put them out!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Does she share your views on too many caches?
    The boss = wife? Hell ya!

Share my views? Hell ya! And perhaps then some!

I had to check the date, it was 11/8/2003. Lee and I had just recently met and were on a caching trip in the Rangely area. At Smalls Falls there are two caches, .3 miles apart, which you access from the same parking area. I can remember us both discussing this after we found those two caches. We could not help but feel we were cheating and wondering if it was right to log both caches. It remained on my mind enough I even discussed it in the national chat room afterward. My how times have changed!
    Last edited by brdad; 03-02-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Heck, if I owned a business, I'd put one on my property as a draw.
    But if you were not a cacher and owned a business, would you have a more favorable view of caching if someone come in and presented the idea to you or if they just hid one without asking permission, and you did not find out until you saw people poking about your property?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

If I owned a business I would love the idea of having a cache placed on the property but I would be FURIOUS if it was done without permission.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Default How much is too much?

When planning trips to cache dense areas there can just be too many caches. When 500 caches are within a 3 mile radius of your hotel, and it can take 10 plus pocket queries to get caches into gsak so you can begin to sort them out and plan your caching days.

In those situations it can be frustrating as you need to do some heavy advanced sorts on your PQs which could keep you from seeing a tough cache that you would want to work in.

Now if the PQ limit was 2500, I would be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    When planning trips to cache dense areas there can just be too many caches. When 500 caches are within a 3 mile radius of your hotel, and it can take 10 plus pocket queries to get caches into gsak so you can begin to sort them out and plan your caching days.

In those situations it can be frustrating as you need to do some heavy advanced sorts on your PQs which could keep you from seeing a tough cache that you would want to work in.

Now if the PQ limit was 2500, I would be happy.
    Problem here is not a cache density, but ignorance on geocaching.com site.
    Moo