vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Caches?

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    Now if the PQ limit was 2500, I would be happy.
    I know I sometimes reflect too much on the past, but shortly after PQs first came out I can remember listening to the left coasters complain that the 500 cache limit per query was not enough and I was always bragging how I could get all Maine caches in one PQ. After a year or two I started to see their dilemma. Even now if there was a 2500 cache limit, it'd still take 3 PQs to get all Maine caches.

If the pace keeps up, we'll be saying we'd be happy if there was a 25,000 cache limit per PQ!

Unfortunately upping the number of caches per PQ would require much more server power than gc.com could afford without charging more (or charging everyone) to play.
    Last edited by brdad; 03-03-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I know I sometimes reflect too much on the past, but shortly after PQs first came out I can remember listening to the left coasters complain that the 500 cache limit per query was not enough and I was always bragging how I could get all Maine caches in one PQ. After a year or two I started to see their dilemma. Even now if there was a 2500 cache limit, it'd still take 3 PQs to get all Maine caches.

If the pace keeps up, we'll be saying we'd be happy if there was a 25,000 cache limit per PQ!

Unfortunately upping the number of caches per PQ would require much more server power than gc.com could afford without charging more (or charging everyone) to play.
    I don't really see a problem why there can't be 100000 cache limit per PQ. They are already serving it asynchronously so horizontal scalability can be used if they lack of computing resources. In addition they can offer different type of PQs, for example light version without long descriptions and logs, just coords and hint, that's all I need
    Moo

There can never be too many caches. Find what you like and ignore the rest. It's not JUST about the numbers!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

It took me 7 days and 32 PQ's to get all the caches in Ohio.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I don't really see a problem why there can't be 100000 cache limit per PQ. They are already serving it asynchronously so horizontal scalability can be used if they lack of computing resources. In addition they can offer different type of PQs, for example light version without long descriptions and logs, just coords and hint, that's all I need
    I think there is more to it than that. It's probably better to limit how many caches allowed per PQ than to slow down the time it takes to get them. And it is and has been growing so rapidly they are always behind some. There have been over 120,000 new accounts signed up already this year.

I know another reason they do not want the allowable PQ size to be really large (like 100000) is that makes it easier for individuals to publish fresh cache data on their own web sites.

However, if a person wants more PQs, they are free to purchase another premium membership!

Of course in my world, distances between caches would be increased, non-premium accounts would be limited to maybe 5 cache hides, premium accounts would be limited to 15 or 20 caches, and all cache hiders would be required to prove identity by credit card or license or some better method. That, and hiders would have to explain to the reviewer why every cache should be allowed to be placed at the location.And no %*$**(*$# dogs allowed to hide caches! That would reduce the load on the PQ servers.

I bet you and much more of the caching world are glad I am not running the game!
    Last edited by brdad; 03-03-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I think Brdad is a paid consultant for Groundspeak.

I'd just say get rid of the max 5 PQs per day rule.

When you run a My Finds PQ, doesnt that allow for more than 500? Aside from time and the obvious deleted logs, whats in place to stop someone from paying for a premium membership, logging every cache in the world as a find, then running a My Finds PQ? Wouldn't that allow for someone to fill GSAK with every cache out there all in one PQ?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I think Brdad is a paid consultant for Groundspeak.
    It can see how it looks that way, I think I have stood up for their practices quite a bit lately. But you can see from what I said a few posts ago you can also see I would do a lot of things differently if I was running the show. The biggest reason I back them a bit is whatever they are doing despite maybe not being perfect is working - they are making a profit and new caches are being placed every day and new members are joining at an astonishing rate. If they can do that while the gov't is running us into a hole they might be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    When you run a My Finds PQ, doesnt that allow for more than 500? Aside from time and the obvious deleted logs, whats in place to stop someone from paying for a premium membership, logging every cache in the world as a find, then running a My Finds PQ? Wouldn't that allow for someone to fill GSAK with every cache out there all in one PQ?
    That would work, but they only allow you to get that PQ once a week instead of every day, and it only includes your logs on those caches. So that still limits your ability to maintain fresh and complete data.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    But if you were not a cacher and owned a business, would you have a more favorable view of caching if someone come in and presented the idea to you or if they just hid one without asking permission, and you did not find out until you saw people poking about your property?
    I had to think about that one. I guess I'm not sure. I suppose if I found one near my business that was in a nice container and well maintained, I'd be alright with it. I guess it would depend on my type of business and the location of the cache. I suppose I'm thinking of it as a draw to get people inside, which is not keeping with the spirit of the game. I'll have to chew on that one for a while. I guess it would be nice to have prior notice, but I'm not sure if I'd exactly freak out if the intention was good.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?