vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needs Maintenance Attribute

Default Needs Maintenance Attribute

We were out caching for a short while today and found a couple of caches that the logs needed some attention from their owners. When logging a cache with the Needs Maintenance Attribute, I see that it doesn't increase the number of finds. Is that set that way for a particular reason? We found the caches and thought the best way to log them was with that attribute but don't want our number found to not reflect what we've found. Especially on a Mapachi hide!! I ended up double logging, one as a "Needs Maintenance" and once as a Found it.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 03-04-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Yes, they are two separate logs. Some people think logging the needs maintenance log is only for extreme situations and if the cache just needs a new log or other minimal maintenance then a note or a mention in your found log - hard to imagine, but I don't really have a hard opinion either way on that!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Maintenance stuff

I bring a whole bag of replacement logs and plastic bags with me when we cache. It only takes a second to put in a new log and I always feel like I've done a good deed when I do so. Hope others adopt this practice!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Yep, it's hard to believe you don't have an opinion!!

With respect to carrying a replacement log, I can see where that might come in handy for a cache large enough to accomodate a second log. Some of the caches we were at today did not lend themselves to supplemental log insertion. As a matter of fact, you would have to have come prepared pretty much with an identical log the size and shape of what was there to begin with. In those cases we weren't prepared by any stretch. On one, we actually added a supplemental "scrap" of paper to a cache with a full log. We may have to look into a variety of empty logs to drop in those caches we find with full logs that are able to accept a second log. With respect to those caches that we just can't plan far enough ahead to have a spare log in that size, would you remove and replace with the intent of getting the full log to the CO?

I've replaced nano logs and removed the original, then contacted the cache owner and offered to mail it to them and received a thank you. I've also added a fresh log in some caches and notified the cache owner and never received a reply or acknowledgment. In fact, I've even replaced a cache container that was damaged and open to the elements, notified the owner and did not receive an acknowledgment.
    Overall, I agree with Dan in that it is a good gesture. Just seems it would be a common courtesy to say thank you.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I bring a whole bag of replacement logs and plastic bags with me when we cache. It only takes a second to put in a new log and I always feel like I've done a good deed when I do so. Hope others adopt this practice!
    I call mine the "Cache repair stash" (see how clever I am ) and keep logs, pens, nano logs, and a small container or two. I've found caches eaten by animals, soaked ect. I think that fixing things that are wrong brings on good karma, and hopefully more finds!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Just Kev,
    I would not remove someone elses log myself, or want them to take my logs. Add something maybe for a log book, but I would not take the log from the cache even with the intent to do a good thing with it. That is just one opinion. But I do not have hundreds of caches to maintain, so that might make a difference to some people.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

I have spent a long time fixing, drying, filling, replacing and adding paper to caches as best I can. It just seems to be the thing to do.

Karma, smarma, doesn't make a difference.

I do appreciate it when people do that on mine, so it's kind of pay back.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Kev and I do our best to leave each cache in a better condition than we find it if we are able. But for those of you who have caches out there of your own...If we were not able to "fix" the issue with your cache would you want a needs maintaince log or would you perfer that a mention be made in the regular log. I dont know exactly how it works but I assume that a needs maintance flag would alert the cache owner to an issue. Is this not a good thing for those cache owners with tons of caches out there? If I cant make it better just wondering what the best thing to do is.

we usually have plastic baggies and although we have added extra paper for logs to those caches that could accomidate it. We just want to be responsible cachers and do what is right .

Default Replacing logs

First of all, you can download paper logs at: www.techblazer.com/geocaching-log-sheets

As far as the reactions of the cache owners when you replace a full or unuseable log, I have never had a negative reaction. If the log is just full and still readable I always ask if the CO wants me to forward it to them. Some folks check their logs to make sure there are no "voodoo" finds.

I've only replaced a full size log book once, and that was because the container had been muggled. Most replacements we do are for nano's and film cannisters.

I welcome any efforts of my fellow cachers to replace logs that are full or no useable in any of my caches.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.