vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: maple syrup

Beer yuck. Whiskey good.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Beer yuck. Whiskey good.
    To each his own!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    I remember the name but that is it. I am afraid that if I went commercial than I would lose the fun. Now Jake, if only you could remember.
    Oh I remember . . . unfortunately as my wife would tell anyone who will listen the stuff I remember is the stupid, useless stuff . . . as could be attested to by Maniac and Hiram from our adventures this past weekend when I would rattle off obscure facts from Star Wars . . . and insist I am not a Star Wars Geek . . . really . . . I have seen the movies a few times, but I'm not a fanatic.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Can you make beer from maple surple?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    Can you make beer from maple surple?

YES!!!!! My brother did a batch last year and Dan had some!

Ahhh, this all brings back memories. In the late eighties I dated a girl whose parents (Ray and Ginnie Titcomb) owned Maine Maple Products in Farmington. In addition to their own trees with the tubes running between them they had sap trucking in from all over Maine, Golden Road, etc. I recall the sap dribbling into this huge stainless steel flat maze device....wood fire underneath....and the sap would start out clear and then go back and forth along the maze (much like the ticket line at an airport) boiling off the water along the way. By the time it came out the other end it was syrup which was graded according to the color. Such a simple, but yet ingenious, method.

So its that time of year again...My brother and I are putting the taps out this weekend as we dont have time next weekend. Last year we had no idea really what we were doing so it was experimental. We only put out 15 taps to try it and see what the result would be. We ended up boiling down enough to fill about three pint containers. The final product was great so this year we marked off (another fun use for the GPS) another 25 trees. Any of you that do this on a regular basis, when re-tapping the same trees the following year, i know you're supposed to rotate your way around the tree but do you get better results tapping below last years hole or above it?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Default Let the sap season start!

Jim Stacey makes some of the best I've ever tasted. He actually placed 4 quarts of the stuff in the final cache of his state series.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Just a reminder

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Jim Stacey makes some of the best I've ever tasted. He actually placed 4 quarts of the stuff in the final cache of his state series.
    Dont forget. Food items should not be put into caches. Especially things that are sweet and taste good......so if anyone is putting maine maple syrup in a cache please give me the co-ords so I can go remove it and properly dispose my pancakes..I mean syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    So its that time of year again...My brother and I are putting the taps out this weekend as we dont have time next weekend. Last year we had no idea really what we were doing so it was experimental. We only put out 15 taps to try it and see what the result would be. We ended up boiling down enough to fill about three pint containers. The final product was great so this year we marked off (another fun use for the GPS) another 25 trees. Any of you that do this on a regular basis, when re-tapping the same trees the following year, i know you're supposed to rotate your way around the tree but do you get better results tapping below last years hole or above it?

The hole rotation is not so important but when tapping the same tree again and again you MUST put the new holes about 1.5 inches away from older holes. Remember the tree has died about 1 inch around those old holes and needs several years to heal itself. Sap does not flow through dead wood! I may put some back in the Maine cache just for the first few finders this year. I know NO food or drink in a cache but because I own it and do the upkeep and it is very close by I think I will be okay.