vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: maple syrup

Day 2 and another 120 gallons! I decided to start boiling tonight because it sounds like tomorrow will be another great day!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

I can take maple syrup over ice cream but I never liked it in beans or squash. I prefer the taste of both of them without sweetening. Wife and I agree on that on the squash but not the beans. She likes what I call dessert beans and I prefer Marafax with just salt pork, dry mustard and maybe an onion in them. I don't get them that way often because I like them too much and she doesn't like me too much after I eat them. I just don't understand that at all.

I guess I should have said sweetened beans, she doesn't like maple syrup on her beans.

Beans, Beans, the musical fruit,
    The more you eat, the more you toot.
    The more you toot, the better you feel,
    And then you're ready for another meal.

I am sure you all know that one, unless it is a Maine song.....I'll take maple syrup over beans anyday..
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

The first 2 days of sap were boiled down and produced 4 gallons syrup. I then went and collected another 160 gallons of sap. Should be a big boil this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    The first 2 days of sap were boiled down and produced 4 gallons syrup. I then went and collected another 160 gallons of sap. Should be a big boil this coming weekend.
    How long can you hold the sap before you boil?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I have a friend who has a commerical sugar house . . . not a large one by modern standards . . . but they do enough to sell the product . . . typically they open up for Maple Syrup Sunday . . . actually Shuman Road you or your wife may remember him since I think one, or both of you, went to school with me . . . Chris Lewis . . . he and his Dad run a place in Thorndike . . . it's all commercial, but they still use wood vs. oil or propane for the heat source.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I have gone to a lot of those Maple Sunday things. Never had the chance to work at a sugar shack. Sounds fun.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    How long can you hold the sap before you boil?
    Depends on the temps. Mine is undercover and as long as we do not have to many 60 degree days in a row than I will store it for a week and then boil it off on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I have a friend who has a commerical sugar house . . . not a large one by modern standards . . . but they do enough to sell the product . . . typically they open up for Maple Syrup Sunday . . . actually Shuman Road you or your wife may remember him since I think one, or both of you, went to school with me . . . Chris Lewis . . . he and his Dad run a place in Thorndike . . . it's all commercial, but they still use wood vs. oil or propane for the heat source.
    I remember the name but that is it. I am afraid that if I went commercial than I would lose the fun. Now Jake, if only you could remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I have gone to a lot of those Maple Sunday things. Never had the chance to work at a sugar shack. Sounds fun.

You do not know what you are missing Mike. Boil sap ,drink beer,boil more sap and drink more beer!