vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: maple syrup

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    We now have 3 invites to attend "boiling festivities" Saturday. I need to load a keg in the back of the family truckster and make the rounds. What time are you starting Jim?
    probably about 5 am. boiling that is! The boiling will last all day and I will not finish until sunday sometime. Drinking beer starts.....
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

This definitely was a good run week. Quickly jumped up to having about 85 gallons from our 35 trees. Next year might be time to invest in some actual equipment. Right now our taps consist of holes drilled into the trees with tubing running to a 5 gallon covered bucket. For boiling, we use an open top cement block furnace with room for 3 stainless steel catering style pans that are 6 inches deep suspended over the fire. Quite the very basic set up with a very low cost. What do those that know what they are doing use for a set up?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Default speaking of Maple Syrup...

Is this maple syrup Sunday when people open their maple syrup "FACTORY" to the public?
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Default Boring...

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    Is this maple syrup Sunday when people open their maple syrup "FACTORY" to the public?

In case you are really asking, Maine Maple Syrup Sunday is the 27th where you can go to an actual functioning producer to see their operation and taste test their product. I doubt they'll be tapping kegs or serving alcohol which means they wont be having as much fun as those with private operations.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    This definitely was a good run week. Quickly jumped up to having about 85 gallons from our 35 trees. Next year might be time to invest in some actual equipment. Right now our taps consist of holes drilled into the trees with tubing running to a 5 gallon covered bucket. For boiling, we use an open top cement block furnace with room for 3 stainless steel catering style pans that are 6 inches deep suspended over the fire. Quite the very basic set up with a very low cost. What do those that know what they are doing use for a set up?
    I use to do the bucket thing but as the years go by I have converted to mostly pipe line. For boiling, I built a stove out of high fire brick that it 9 feet long,3 feet wide and 4 feet high. This reduced my wood consumption from 3 cord down to .5 cord to make the same amount of syrup. I do like to low cost!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright