vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creepy Crawlies

Default Creepy Crawlies

All of my geocache finds are in Maine, however I am going to the Florida Keys this coming 18th, and would like to do some caching while I am down there. There have been some cache hides in Maine, that had I not been in Maine, I would not have stuck my hand into that hole to find the cache. I used to live down in FL for half of every year and I can remember coming across MANY scorpions and sorts of snakes and other various biters and stingers. Do the cache hides tend to be different down there? Or must you be the overzealous cacher and take the chance? Just wondering about out of state caches where the creepy crawlies reside.

For me since moving down south I haven't really encountered anything out of the ordinary but now tend to use a pokey stick to poke any hole 1st before sticking my hand in there....lol. I have encountered a couple of snakes but only one poisonous one ,a small copperhead and saw him before getting too close. I just used my stick to move him to one side before grabbing for the cache. Just use your common sense and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck with you caching trip to Florida.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    For me since moving down south I haven't really encountered anything out of the ordinary but now tend to use a pokey stick to poke any hole 1st before sticking my hand in there....lol. I have encountered a couple of snakes but only one poisonous one ,a small copperhead and saw him before getting too close. I just used my stick to move him to one side before grabbing for the cache. Just use your common sense and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck with you caching trip to Florida.
    My rule of thumb is, "if it kills ya, you probably shouldn't have done it..."
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Fire usually drives all critters away. It also helps with the cache hide. Follow the burning plastic or hot metal smell.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I thought that you INVESTIGATED arsons, Ekidokai? Not set fires! I guess that my I should fireproof all my hides from now on with you running around wild! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I thought that you INVESTIGATED arsons, Ekidokai? Not set fires! I guess that my I should fireproof all my hides from now on with you running around wild! ;-)
    I don't think you can prevent that... like my mom says, she tried as hard as she could to "childproof" the house when I was little, but I still managed to find my way in....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

No, not me, I'm just saying.

Moonsouth, We just did more caching in Florida, and it does not appear to me that the caching is any different, but the poisonous snake signs on the trails ( and gator signs)we went on, certainly made me decide to not to poke around as much, and made me decide to turn back on some bushwacking adventures actually. Good luck to you. Walk softley and carry and big stick, and you will probably find them all. :-)
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

I have to laugh at the mere thought of caching around things that bite and are deadly....I make the hubby search in holes and rotten logs here in maine because I dont want spiders on me....nevermind they are not deadly! Cashing in florida? maybe but only guard rail caches maybe LOL

I am a big chicken and I admit it!!!
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Big spiders in Guard rails down there.