vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Caches in Bangor areas

Unhappy New Caches in Bangor areas

I have noticed a few new caches being put out by a new cacher, which is great. However, the choice of locations is not very good in my opinion. One is right behind the Bangor homeless shelter and some further up on 1st street and 2nd street. Please do not read into this as I am being biased, but there are some very, how should I put it, SHADY, goings on in and around these areas. I would even say it could be a borderline dangerous area. When one of the logs for one new cache states that the cacher could see kids playing in one corner of the park, and some people having SEX in the other, that tends to raise some red flags that this is NOT a good area for caches. Does anyone else agree with me or am I just being an idiot? If the new cacher is in here I would welcome them to comment and discuss this. I am just thinking of those of us who cache with kids.

Where the hell is that thing?

Yeah, just got back from looking for a few and those areas are ruff.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Park

That must be the park cache I found this weekend. Yeah, they are a little rough. There were/are a few caches placed around the south end of Waterville that also fall into that catagory. I don't think the park cache poses a danger to anyone involved. My guess is that muggles will probably take care of the issue. I always appreciate the effort in placing new caches though. Kudo's to the City of Bangor in fixing up the playground equipment in the park.

Hey there Evil, It's nice to see you come out of hibernation!!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Yes I had a LOOONG winters nap. No snow for snowmobiling has left me a little ugly though. Good thing is now CACHING time again.

Where the hell is that thing?

Every time I speak up against these caches I get the "Everyone takes their own risk when finding a cache, let anyone hide them anywhere" speech.

Funny part is, a while back I stood up for a cache placed in a park where some less desirable relationship activities as well as who knows what else were taking place, suggesting that these activities should be brought to the attention of the city until a resolution was made. Take back the control of these areas or the undesirables win!

So the best option I can think of in these cases is just to clearly state in your log what your experience was like and hopefully other cachers will use that as a tool to help determine if they want to do the cache.

Regardless, I think these caches are often not great for caching. If these types of caches were my first, I probably would not have had a lot of interest in looking for more...
    Last edited by brdad; 03-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Caches in Bangor

Who reads logs before they go? If we'd been doing that we would have realized the error in trying to find caches still buried in several feet of snow.

I used to never read them.
    Then I progressed to reading them when we were on caching trips out of state.
    Then I progressed to reading them when we were caching out of town.

Now I read a lot of them, to get a short list of caches I definitely want to do even when they are nearby. To just randomly go out and find any cache is not my style most days.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

In the style I choose to cache, I do read the recent logs at a minimum. While I like the concept of the recent hides, some of them are not desirable, just from a muggle stand point, let alone other factors. Within a day, one went missing from Davenport, for reasons we can only speculate. I think the others will have the same trouble.
    Again, I like the concept of these....perhaps there is some middle ground of sorts for them to be successful.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

After doing a few of those caches I do have to agree the locations are kinda sketchy and I am not sure how long they will last in those locations. Its unfortunate that these areas are not the most highly desirable areas for caches or even places to hang out at.

Default Parks

When I relocated to Bangor back in 2002, we had trouble finding a decent apartment and ended up at 50 Cedar street. Sitting in the living room we could see down the hill and the shelter was in plain view. Out the other window, First Street. I can definitely attest to the fact that the riff raff come out in full force all night long in the areas where Davenport and 2nd street caches or located. I learned quickly after having vehicles broken into, and the neighbors beating the snot out of each other that you just plain don't go into parks nor unfamiliar areas like this at night, no matter who you're with, especially during the warm summer nights. There were several nights where we'd see the fights happen and minutes later, the police scanner would go off and the cops were taking care of business. Doing these caches during the day shouldn't be much of an issue but I wouldn't recommend them in the dusk to dark hours if you are alone, especially carrying expensive little gadgets.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry