vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: News Flash - Stud Mill and Star Wars is for wimps!

CarRoper . . .

a) I enjoyed your Star Wars cache series as much as I did the Stud Mill Road . . . but not for the numbers . . . sure it was a benefit . . . but in the case of OKdokei's cache series it was fun since I knew a number of the cachers the tribute caches were set out for and could comment on those folks . . . and it was the comraderie of the folks we were with . . . doing these alone would not have been as much fun.

In the case of the Star Wars cache series I was able to get my geek on . . . although I thought everyone knew that Coruscant was the empire/republic's capital planet . . . now granted I knew Felucia might throw some folks off, but Corsucant . . . c'mon Mainiac . . . and again . . . what made this fun was the folks I was caching with . . . although posing beside the road in a bathrobe with my home-made light saber was sort of fun too.

b) Having met you I think you need to change your sub title . . . you seem like a pretty decent and nice fella . . . but don't worry . . . I won't tell anyone . . . we can keep up the pretense of you being the "resident jerk" if you prefer.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Every Right

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post

2) Anyone who has ever logged a find on Stud Mill or Star Wars down here has no right to criticize "power trails" or anything like this.

On the contrary, I think having done one of the series gives people every right to criticize. Everyone always says, don't knock it until you try it...I did. I've been to the SMR twice just trying to wrap them up. It was fun the first time as it was the first time I had been out there, it was a numbers run, and it was an easy way to log the Centrum cache. Would I always want my caching experience to be this way? No way.

Its been stated lots of times in all these threads that some people love the runs, some people hate them. (cache runs that is) I did it to accomplish the mission but I much more prefer caching to bring you to some place with a reason to be there, some historical value, some great view, or just a new woods trail, rather than seeing nothing but a long straight poweline view all day. Obviously people fun doing these runs in groups and they boost your numbers so they serve a purpose, just not the same as a good quality ammo can hide.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Okay okay Firefighterjake, maybe I am not a jerk.... but I have a reputation to uphold and protect here so try to keep it quiet... sssssssssssssshhhhhhhh ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Its been stated lots of times in all these threads that some people love the runs, some people hate them. (cache runs that is) I did it to accomplish the mission but I much more prefer caching to bring you to some place with a reason to be there, some historical value, some great view, or just a new woods trail, rather than seeing nothing but a long straight poweline view all day. Obviously people fun doing these runs in groups and they boost your numbers so they serve a purpose, just not the same as a good quality ammo can hide.
    I agree. We did the SM run on a rainy day with Becket in an attempt to meet the challenge. Since Mike took the time to place over 120 of these in one day, we took the time to personally sign 111 of them that day as some others also have done. Our sense of accomplishment came from that. We have no interest to do another "numbers run" of that magnitude. We have done some of the "Star Wars" series but especially enjoyed the "off-road" portion. Due to the proximity to private residences, many of the other caches made us uncomfortable but others may find no problem with that. I make no judgements here. I've always believed that if you don't like a type of cache, don't do it!
    We much prefer a good hike or kayak and have had no problem in finding many of these type of caches still available. Fortunately, there's room for many levels and varieties of challenges in geocaching to keep us all interested.
    Wandering with a purpose!

I can't remember if I've stated my feelings on these power caches or not, but here goes.

If you're into the numbers, they're great.

If you're into the scenic views, they're not great.

If you go as a group and realize it will be more of a socializing geocache run, they're great.

If you go alone by yourself, they're not great.

My own take . . . I wouldn't stay in geocaching for long if there were all kinds of these types of caches everywhere and nothing else . . . but having two power runs in "northern" Maine and "southern" Maine seems to be working out fairly well.

I actually looked at the power run shown outside of Las Vegas . . . and honestly while it might be tempting if I ever end up in Vegas for a conference again . . . I would much prefer to spend the day seeing some of the state parks and doing those caches rather than just building up the numbers and being myself.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Just like the advent of the automobile. Some people refused to get rid of their horse and buggy!............Huh???
    I love hiking a mile or two in the woods or up a mountain to find a lone cache hidden behind a rock. I also like jumping in and out and in and out and in and out of my truck while on power runs! Both kinds of caching builds up my fortitude! One supports my sanity, the other my insanity. I think. I think I am. Therefore I am. .....I Think.
    I've been laid up with a bum foot, and I'm going stir crazy! GIVE ME A POWER RUN!
    AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsouth View Post
    I guess my problem is I know that I wont enjoy these caches, and they will bring me to no where in particularly special, but I have this uncontrollable need to get them all. They are there so I must get them, its not just a number thing, its a just because they are there I must get them....like it is a duty to conquer all caches haha. Maybe I need to change my outlook on these power-trails and see the challenge as how many can I get in a day, almost like one big cache with many stages...Still, for me they wont be as good as that cache in a memorable location, or as exciting as completing some of the harder challenges, but they are still caches and therefore must be found...I just cant seem to ignore them....the Geo"Force" wont allow it....Maybe it IS about the numbers subconsciously and I just need to get a LOT of numbers to not care about them anymore....anyways, im rambling...
    Bingo! You just summed it up for me, if you know there is a cache behind a dumpster, you still want to get it off your list!
    Caching has taken me to some truly beautiful and inspiring locations, but you have to get those pesky other ones off your list too.