vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $225.00 ticket on Star Wars Series leg...

Default $225.00 ticket on Star Wars Series leg...

Just wanted to forewarn any cachers coming to the area to do the Star Wars run.... I had to disable a leg of the off-road section for the time being. I went out this morning to do some cache repair on two of the caches on the leg of the series on Government Road and didn't see the "Road Closed" sign at the start of the road and was pulled over by two National Forrest Service rangers and given a $225.00 ticket to pay. They did tell me that the road will be open to motor vehicle traffic later this spring and that foot traffic is always ok on the road. The caches are still there for the most part so feel free to log finds but I am keeping the listings disabled for the time being until the road opens up again.

Ouch! That hurts!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Yup. The government for you. And as someone else pointed out to me, if the road was closed to motor vehicle traffic, why were the forest rangers driving their big SUV on the road? ha ha

The sad thing is, if they would have simply repaired the gate, they wouldn't of had to worry about anyone using a motor vehicle on the road, and paying two Federal Law Enforcement officers to patrol the three mile long stretch of road! But, logic seems to go against what the Government wants to do as we all know.

Oh well, better me getting a ticket for it than another cacher. I would feel terrible if someone went down that road looking for caches that I had placed, and got a $225.00 ticket! But I have disabled the caches on that stretch and stated why in the log.

Can you fight the fine? It would seem that if the road was not properly shut off or signed.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Well it was marked with a little sign that I did not see. The one ranger said that he didn't believe that I didn't see it. Whatever. It's the government and they can go to hell

It seems like if you have permission to hide caches on federally regulated land, they would give you some leeway? I guess they could say you could have walked or biked it to maintain the caches. That's a chunk of change.
    Last edited by brdad; 03-13-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Yeah it's not a national park and they didn't care about caches being there. I even showed them my bag of caches. They both knew what Geocaching was. The whole area isn't marked very well as Federal land with some roads open some gated closed. Everyone out there uses the roads especially for ATVs etc. In fact thy stopped two right after me as I was pulling away

Angry Holy Crap Chadd

I am sorry to hear of that bad news.Jake and I talked Hiram into driving down that road last Saturday. We saw two trucks parked along the side so we figured the sign might have been old. That would have made for an expensive day of caching.
    Happy Trails!

I'd rather it be me, the cache owner/placer who got the fine and not one you all! Interestingly enough, many cachers past down those roads today as well making finds and none yet have made mention of being pulled over and fined by the National Forest Service although in one log, one cacher mentions coming across two "rangers" and having a good time talking about caching with the "rangers" etc etc. I betcha those are the same two *******s who screwed me.

Should these caches be disabled until the road opens up again to save people the same problem?
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."