vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer Ticks & Lyme Disease

Default Deer Ticks & Lyme Disease

Cachers walking in the woods and fields should be aware of the elevated risk of getting deer ticks and Lyme disease between May and July. See following link for more information. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/
    Nuffer

I went to the site, enlarged the picture of ticks, and was extremely impressed with how good the picture was when I printed it. I'm gonna put it in the geocaching bag, and suggest that others do as well. Could mean the difference between a trip to the doctor or not...

I can deal with spiders, poison ivy, snakes, skunks, lizards, and any other sort of critter, but ticks really upset me...

Ticks are the worst! I picked up one while caching on Bradbury. Tiny thing...embedded...didn't find him until 3 days after (!). I had no idea they could be out so early...but they can!! Dr. put me on antibiotics. Interesting note...the bull's eye they talk about as a sympton of lyme disease is huge! Luckily, no signs/symptoms. Take care on the trails everyone!
    Last edited by Bluegrass Gyrl; 05-21-2005 at 10:35 AM.

cachers please take ticks and lyme seroiusly My best friend has it and has been sick for 3 years. it took almost a year before she was diagnosed. she had to quit working and takes shots every day. it is like having the flu all the time.
    Hikers take care to check for ticks and get to the docter for treatment.
    geosmiles

wow, scary stuff. Gets me thinking about going caching at all, i went to a tick seminar a year or so ago, can be nasty stuff. there are only a couple true labs in the country that are the real deal lyme testing. i guess i will start wearing my tick repellant.

Don't let ticks stop you from caching Noreasta - you could get them in your yard and that won't stop you from going home! LOL
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 05-24-2005 at 10:59 PM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

My friend got a tick and lyme disease when he went down to concert in Jersey. I didn't think they came this far north...
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Cyr
    My friend got a tick and lyme disease when he went down to concert in Jersey. I didn't think they came this far north...
    The information I've seen is that they haven't gone too far north of Augusta yet, so I sort of doubt if you'd see them in Caribou for quite a while. I haven't seen any in my area so far (Skowhegan area).

I don't know if the cold winter has killed them off, or if this is a slow season, or if I've just been lucky, but we really haven't seen many ticks this spring at all. And that's not a bad thing! I've also noticed a few houses with signs saying "Mainely Ticks" pest control out front. I guess they are taking aggressive measures against them. The only good tick is a dead tick, but I'm not a big fan of pesticides either. I hope they are out of range of my water supply!

There out we found one last weekend. But so far we that is all we have seen is that one. If we don't see anymore then it would not break my heart.
    Blazing Troll