vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An Event Idea...

Default I am in favor

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    We could actually use our Geocaching Maine account to host this type of event if everyone liked the idea and thought it was appropriate.
    Now that is an interesting idea. No reason for them not to be a monthly event however. Having a restaurant willing to reserve space on a Sunday morning is the bigger deal. Most know they are going to fill up anyway, so why take a chance on missing out on business. Also that we as cachers tend to stay for awhile gabbing, and then they don't turn over the tables. Don't get me wrong on this. I would love it. Just playing devils advocate a little.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I like the idea that these events are never archived, and that the date is just edited for each meeting. For some reason I was thinking this was not allowed anymore and that these examples were grandfathered? Tom? Tom?

Hopefully that is not the case.

We could actually use our Geocaching Maine account to host this type of event if everyone liked the idea and thought it was appropriate.
    The guidelines state:

Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans. ...

After the event has passed, the event cache should be archived by the organizer within four weeks.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

It would definitely have to be an establishment willing to participate. Governor's in Bangor is a great idea, especially since they have breakfast buffet on weekends (I think they still do) but for that reason plus the fact they do have limited space it might be a problem.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    The guidelines state:
    Ya, and it is also said they are only guidelines and there are allowances

So, would you rule no or yes?

If it's no this thread takes a slightly different turn. Might as well know up front!

This is an example of the CT event

Wings & Beer (and Pizza, too!) (GCZRKA) by The Local Cachers (1/1)
    Last edited by brdad; 03-17-2010 at 06:57 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Now that is an interesting idea. No reason for them not to be a monthly event however. Having a restaurant willing to reserve space on a Sunday morning is the bigger deal. Most know they are going to fill up anyway, so why take a chance on missing out on business. Also that we as cachers tend to stay for awhile gabbing, and then they don't turn over the tables. Don't get me wrong on this. I would love it. Just playing devils advocate a little.
    At the event we attended, I don't believe there were more than 12 people present. This would not be a major strain on any "family"restaurant. I would think they'd be glad to have a regular group of this size (ones that would actually eat and not just drink coffee and take up room! LOL!)

Talking Fyi

The ones they do in New Brunswick post as new events each month. I have to think there is nothing wrong doing it that way. Not everyone will make it to every breakfast. I understand the concept though. The first weekend here in Bangor. The next in Augusta, and then in Portland, etc, etc. So each would be once a month, but potentially every week somewhere would be a breakfast event. Lets get some in the works!
    Happy Trails!

I'm sure the different locations would have to be separate events.

I just like the concept of the same event being re-dated better than submitting new ones every month. Of course, that will require enough people attending. Still worth discussing either way!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Default Thumbs Up.....

Certainly gets my seal of approval. Monthly, in a given area, shouldn't be too often and rotating among locations is a great idea. Mike had talked about this last September at Last Bashe, seems this would fill the bill perfectly.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    The ones they do in New Brunswick post as new events each month. I have to think there is nothing wrong doing it that way. Not everyone will make it to every breakfast. I understand the concept though. The first weekend here in Bangor. The next in Augusta, and then in Portland, etc, etc. So each would be once a month, but potentially every week somewhere would be a breakfast event. Lets get some in the works!
    I prefer to have it always in a different restaurant. Or we can have picknics in parks instead. Everybody will bring their own food and will eat it there. I prefer lunch instead. I don't need to get up before noon on Sundays.
    Moo

I like the familiarity of sticking with one location per given city and week, which also makes it easier to make sure the establishment knows we are coming and that they can accommodate us. Picnics would be great but are too dependent on weather.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!