vb:literal>

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An Event Idea...

The mystery ride idea would just be for the first one. After that it would be a set location. That seems to appeal to everyone.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    One comment - I do have a life other than Geocaching. An event a month or so or every quarter is fine but sponsors of events need to understand and expect that attendenace will vary based upon seasons, weather and other things. As long as sponsors realize this and are not upset if a lot don't show up - or a huge number do - everyone will be happy.
    Sheesh! My original proposal has taken on legs, but as I envisioned it, these gatherings would be small INFORMAL gatherings of geocachers who want to get out out on a Sunday. I know that many people think that if an event is posted, they're not being "real" geocachers if they don't attend.

I also know that large gatherings build the ego of the event organizers who equate numbers with success (it's ALWAYS about the numbers, right?), but that was not my intent in proposing this type of gathering. (Mystery ride???)

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! My original proposal has taken on legs, but as I envisioned it, these gatherings would be small INFORMAL gatherings of geocachers who want to get out out on a Sunday. I know that many people think that if an event is posted, they're not being "real" geocachers if they don't attend.

I also know that large gatherings build the ego of the event organizers who equate numbers with success (it's ALWAYS about the numbers, right?), but that was not my intent in proposing this type of gathering. (Mystery ride???)

It was a huge success In Waterboro. We would meet at the clubhouse and follow the leader until arriving at the venue. Once brought them back to the clubhouse for a catered dinner that was really fun.

Like I said it would be for the first one only. Then the same fixed location after that.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post

This is along what I thought was a good idea. As for logging, if it has a unique GC.com identifier, then log it.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I've just read this thread and thought, as one of the "hosts" of these breakfasts in New Brunswick, I'd clarify what we've done here.

It started in Moncton. A Sunday breakfast the last Sunday of the month. It's at a restaurant that has a separate room so taking up space or staying for long periods of time isn't an issue. It is just an informal gathering for breakfast and geo-chat. I think they have an average of about 20 people, maybe 6 or so sometimes in summer and up to 40 or more on busy weekends.

Being from Fredericton and not able to get to Moncton all the time (it's about a 2 hour drive) we decided to start having one here. We decided to do ours the 2nd to last Sunday so people from Moncton could come and we could still go there if we wished. We also found a restaurant with a completely separate room and have it there every month. We have averaged about 30 people, with a low of 23 and high of 47. We started ours Sept 2009.

Saint John also started having a Sunday breakfast and they do theirs the 3rd to last Sunday. They have theirs in a small motel restaurant and mingle with other partons.

We all do each month's breakfast as a new event and archive them after they're done. It's not really that big a deal to copy and paste the info with a few changes. The same cachers host it every week and we usually publish the next one a week after the last one. We very often will have a few cachers from both Moncton and Saint John (and other areas) and we get to their breakfasts occasionally. Very few, if any, go to all 3 all the time. And as WhereRWe said they are very informal. Drop in, sign the logbook, pour a coffee and have some breakfast, meet and greet fellow cachers and tell tall tales!

It's been very well received by the cachers in all 3 cities and we get great reviews from our out-of-town guests! Our next one in Fredericton is this Sunday - here's the GC code if you want to take a peak (GC248KQ) and an archived one from Dec (GC21GCA).

We love to have guests from out of town so if you're ever up/over this way drop in fro breakfast!

Quote Originally Posted by milosheart View Post
    I've just read this thread and thought, as one of the "hosts" of these breakfasts in New Brunswick, I'd clarify what we've done here.

It started in Moncton. A Sunday breakfast the last Sunday of the month. It's at a restaurant that has a separate room so taking up space or staying for long periods of time isn't an issue. It is just an informal gathering for breakfast and geo-chat. I think they have an average of about 20 people, maybe 6 or so sometimes in summer and up to 40 or more on busy weekends.

Being from Fredericton and not able to get to Moncton all the time (it's about a 2 hour drive) we decided to start having one here. We decided to do ours the 2nd to last Sunday so people from Moncton could come and we could still go there if we wished. We also found a restaurant with a completely separate room and have it there every month. We have averaged about 30 people, with a low of 23 and high of 47. We started ours Sept 2009.

Saint John also started having a Sunday breakfast and they do theirs the 3rd to last Sunday. They have theirs in a small motel restaurant and mingle with other partons.

We all do each month's breakfast as a new event and archive them after they're done. It's not really that big a deal to copy and paste the info with a few changes. The same cachers host it every week and we usually publish the next one a week after the last one. We very often will have a few cachers from both Moncton and Saint John (and other areas) and we get to their breakfasts occasionally. Very few, if any, go to all 3 all the time. And as WhereRWe said they are very informal. Drop in, sign the logbook, pour a coffee and have some breakfast, meet and greet fellow cachers and tell tall tales!

It's been very well received by the cachers in all 3 cities and we get great reviews from our out-of-town guests! Our next one in Fredericton is this Sunday - here's the GC code if you want to take a peak (GC248KQ) and an archived one from Dec (GC21GCA).

We love to have guests from out of town so if you're ever up/over this way drop in fro breakfast!
    Thanks for the invite. Hope to make it up your way sometime. Have always enjoyed New Brunswick and the hospitality from Motorcycle Days with the Blue Knights - to not so long ago showing dogs. Always good times and folks who make you feel at home and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by milosheart View Post

Seems like a good model to me.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

OK, fine, I'll do it.

You don't have to call up reinforcements from other countries.

GC25AYZ

That's it.

"Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published."