Thursday's miles: 13.8
    Total miles: 650.8

Friday's miles: 0
    Total miles: 650.8

Saturday's miles: 9.6
    Total miles: 660.4

Default My baby sister.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHorwich View Post
    My sister, Twisted Sister #2, is very involved in this organization. She was the first woman to hike the entire trail south (it's grown in length since she did this), and she was the first person to hike the Nova Scotia leg of the IAT. We are hiking some of the Vermont and Mass. AT together this summer. We'd love to bump into ATroll, but he won't be that far north.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    We'd love to bump into ATroll, but he won't be that far north.
    Many years ago I was a hiker - days gone by - but I think it would be great if any GeocachingMaine.org members who are hikers could meet Rick somewhere on the trail - either north or south and accompany him for some distance. Maybe this is a discussion for a different thread - how we can arrange companion hikes for Rick. Like I said - my hiking says are long past - but I'd love to be able to meet him at a road crossing and offer him a beer (Sheesh! Another thread!). LOL!

Default Hooking up with Rick

There were comments early on about maybe hiking from Abol to the summit in Baxter with Rick but having read all his posts thus far, my sense is that "thru hikers" are likely to associate themselves with either other thru hikers or support people along the way that cater to them. I see nothing wrong with this and understand it entirely. I encountered some thru hikers a couple of year back near Monson. They were focused to the point of almost in a trance like state and like robots plodding along.

Rick has seemed calm and in no particular hurry but I bet once he sees the finish line he may not need want a bunch of us weekend warriors tagging along. I might be wrong. We'll see what he posts when he's a couple of hundred miles out. I think things get a lot harder when he gets up this way. At least he's eating well!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Many years ago I was a hiker - days gone by - but I think it would be great if any GeocachingMaine.org members who are hikers could meet Rick somewhere on the trail - either north or south and accompany him for some distance. Maybe this is a discussion for a different thread - how we can arrange companion hikes for Rick. Like I said - my hiking says are long past - but I'd love to be able to meet him at a road crossing and offer him a beer (Sheesh! Another thread!). LOL!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Is that what they call "trail magic"!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Is that what they call "trail magic"!
    Sheesh, I guess! From reading his logs, I'm surprised at how much support their is along the trail such as "Trail Magic", shuttles, hostels, etc. I had always assumed it was pretty much of an "on your own" journey.

When he first told me what he planned I started looking into it. There is an incredible amount of support personal that are on the trail. As you can surmise from his logs. The people that live and work along the trail are as special as the ones hiking it.

Twice I did rescues of a friend that was hiking the trail in Vermont. All I had to do is ask anyone around and they gave me all the info and help I could have asked for. Looking through the info available on the trail I see this is much the same all along the trail.

Just wish I could do it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Trail Magic is any form of kindness from finding cold sodas in a stream, someone cooking burhgers at a road crossing, a ride to a grocery store, or anything to help a hiker. Shuttle services are usually not free, you pay on an average $1.00 to $1.50 a mile.

I am starting to be more careful with taking zero days now. It was getting to easy to take them when you share the cost of a room with a hiking partner. I lose my hiking partner tomorrow for a couple of weeks. I am sure I will find someone or a group to hike with until I meet back up with my partner.

For those wanting to send cards or special treats, I will be in Front Royal, VA in eight or more days. I have been craving the original slim jims. I am having trouble finding the the single servings of the gatorade fruit punch.

Richard Towle
    C/O General Delivery
    Front Royal, VA. 22630
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    For those wanting to send cards or special treats, I will be in Front Royal, VA in eight or more days. I have been craving the original slim jims. I am having trouble finding the the single servings of the gatorade fruit punch.
    Sheesh! Maybe. What are you bringing us from Georgia/The Carolinas/Virginia? LOL!