vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's Spring!

In some rare situations, a geocache is no longer able to be maintained by the owner. A geocache adoption can be processed using the Geocaching Adoption Service without intervention from Groundspeak.
    Steps for transferring ownership of a geocache:
    The current cache owner logs in and visits:
    http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/
    Enter the waypoint (GCXXX) and click 'Lookup.'
    Enter the username of the new owner and click 'Go.'
    Click on 'Send Adoption Request.'
    The new cache owner will receive an email. They should log in to the site and follow the adoption instructions provided.
    If the original geocache owner is inactive on our site and/or will not use the Geocaching Adoption Service, the interested new party must ask the original cache owner to give Groundspeak written permission. The owner should inform us at contact@geocaching.com from their Geocaching email account that this cache can be adopted to the new party with their permission. If the cache owner is unresponsive and the cache needs attention, you may write a Needs Maintenance log or a Needs Archived log to the cache page, as appropriate.
    Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner. Individual geocaches are owned by the person(s) who physically placed the geocache and/or submitted the geocache listing to geocaching.com.
    Grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool on the website nor Groundspeak will be able to make the transfer for Virtual, Webcam or Locationless caches. Archived caches cannot be transferred, either.
    Many thanks to Volunteer Cache Reviewer Keystone for initially writing this article.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Smile

Thanks... I appreciate that.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Me too. Thanks for posting.

Your welcome, now stop fighting.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

And a thought. I experienced this in my first caching year. Found a cache which was a mess. Sent the owner a message offering to adopt it. They agreed and followed the procedure so I could adopt the cache (and it was one of the first ones put out in Maine). Left the original cache owners name on it and added adopted by.......

After I adopted it, I got an email from a relative of the land owner (the relative is/was a geocacher). Permission had NEVER been obtained or granted for the cache placement. It was on private land off a power line. AND they wanted it removed and gone.

After a lot of negotiation they agreed to let it remain if it was moved a bit. I replaced the container, moved the cache and reworded the cache description to accomodate the landowners request. The cache remained with no problems for about another year. Then the landowner decided to clear cut the land and their nephew (who is/was a geocacher) removed the container and sent me an email.

I tried to make numerous arrangements to get the container back with no luck. It ended up being archived anyway.