vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you log your finds?

Default How do you log your finds?

How do you keep track of your finds and DNFs during your trip? How do you log them when returned home? Do you log them on site? How would you like if every cache was equipped with QR code which would bring you directly to the log page?
    Moo

On shorter trips when I know which caches i am likely to do I print out a GSAK page of the caches. Then I just number them in the order I do them and jot down what I took and left and anything else I need to remember. When I don't know where I am going or on long trips I just jot the GCID and any notes in the order I do them. I have seen people take pictures of their log in the logbook for a permanent record.

I don't use my cell phone for anything but phone, in fact I try to pretend I don't have one. So I doubt I would bother with QR code logging. I think QR code logging would lead to even shorter and repetitive logs.

However, if caches were required to have QR codes on the outside of the box and in the logbook, it might make it easier for land managers and authorities identify caches and cache owners.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    How do you keep track of your finds and DNFs during your trip?
    I have CacheMate on the PDA - works very well. When I get home, I log them and delete each find/DNF from the PDA as I log them.

In so much that I don't do numbers runs (no opinion one way or another, just haven't done it) but "just go caching", if I do several, I just jot down the cache name and log them later on on my laptop. I choose not to log them via smart-phone technology, however I do log them in the order found. I generally, but not always, try to write an interesting log and one that reflects my thoughts and experience of that cache. Doesn't alway happen, but I try. At some point I'm sure I'll do a larger number in one day, so we'll see if I resort to "serial logging" .

Part of the enjoyment I get from caching is logging back into the cache page, writing the log and perhaps dropping a coin in for tracking. While a QR code would make it easier for some, I doubt I would use it.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Sheesh! I admit my ignorance, but since 2 people have mentioned a "QR code", and I am oblivious, please explain!

A QR code is basically a hybrid bar code, which can contain a lot of information in a small image, over 4000 alphanumeric characters. These can be read by many cell phones with built in cameras.

Sample barcode encodes the text "ABCDEFGH01234567"
    Last edited by brdad; 03-21-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

When I go out my GPSr keeps track of the ones I have found. GSAK takes care of the rest. QR code would do most of us no good.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 03-22-2010 at 12:22 AM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    A QR code is basically a hybrid bar code, which can contain a lot of information in a small image, over 4000 alphanumeric characters. These can be read by many cell phones with built in cameras.

Sample barcode encodes the text "ABCDEFGH01234567"
    How do you read them?
    Last edited by brdad; 03-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

We usually mix a delightful adult beverage and review our PDA to post our finds. We have noted trades on the PDA and also on a notepad. Depends on how big a cache run it was. When we did the stud mill road, it was a 3 or 4 beer endeavor in front of a campfire with a preprinted spreadsheet (Thankd Barefoot!) that we used for tracking and notes. Each of our finds on the SMR had a unique post.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    How do you read them?
    From right to left, bottom to the middle and back down again. the crap at the top is nothing.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.