This caching event will be to try and get Maine geocachers together. We know it is hard for the Maine cachers in southern Maine to make it to the cache events in the Bangor area. So we are making an effort to help them make this event.
We have a grill and everyone can bring their own food to cook. We have a fairly large back yard. We can set up a slip and slide on the small hill in the back yard for the children or adults. We have done this for family events and it was very successful. We will have a canopy tent set up in case of rain. The canopy is a 10 x 20 and with the sides open it becomes a 24 x 20. We will be setting up a screen house too.
I am in the process of adding at least two close caches in the area so they can be found before or after this event for this event and left for future caching.
If you want to get here earlier and head out for somewhat local caching then you can stop off here first and leave what you donít want to carry around in your car. We can also set up an area if someone wants to tent here for the night. If we get some tenters we can have a fire in the fire pit at night if it is not too windy. You can tent for the night at the event and use our house as home base, you are more then welcome. If anyone is interested in bringing a tent and making this an overnighter event just let us know or if you just want to tent in the yard for a night let us know we have plenty of room.
We are also only one mile away from a bunch of lakes. There is a bridge just down the road that the local kids and adults use to jump from. It is only about 10 feet off the water.
For those that are interested I have a wireless router that can be turned on if they want to bring there laptops.
Maybe from here we can discuss the status of the geocoins and see where we should go from here.
We are very opened minded on what to have and do at this cache. The idea was to get a cache event in the southern area of the start so we could get some of the coastal Maine cachers to attend and meet them and share stories and pass on ideas and information.
Goals for this event include:
1. Sharing and showing others how to use a GPS.
2. Passing on helpful information for finding caches.
3. Demonstrating geocaching software and the pros and cons of different software.
4. Discussing our new Maine geocoin if it is not finalized by then.
5. Emphasizing LNT.
6. Discussing the procedures of hiding a cache.
7. Exchanging travel bus to move along.
And anything else that may come up.
Things to bring:
1. You and anyone interested in attending.
2. The food that you want to eat.
3. Chairs to sit in.
4. A good attitude.
5. Tent and sleeping gear if you plan on spending the night.
6. If you have an extra grill it might help.
7. Bathing suit, just in case.
8. Travel bugs to pass along.