vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes random browsing can be fun...

Default Sometimes random browsing can be fun...

Sometimes I randomly browse cache listings in far away states. Tonight I found this one :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...f-db3563733990

Does anyone else see anything odd about this? An Event Cache not scheduled to take place until April 20th 2010, and people were logging it as attended way back in 2009? What is up with these weirdos?

Weird. It almost looks like a multiple stage event cache, if there's ever such a thing (and I don't think there is). If you can make the tour, then you can log it as attended the event. It does seem a little iffy to me.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

When the site was changed last the box that gives options is set to attend. If your not watching you get that. I have seen this a lot.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I think you are going to find this is a cargo ship which regularly visits AK and when they are in port does tours and the local Geocachers make an event out of it. Rather than republish the whole thing it is like an ongoing event and they change the date of the visits.

Maine Publisher would have to speak as to how this meets guidelines.

I know the ship had been in just before we were in Anchorage and was coming back just after we left. We missed it.

Hollora is correct. This is (in my words) a recurring event. The location of the event is constant, but they change the event date every month (give or take). The same type of event was mentioned in WhereRWe's recent An Event Idea... thread, which I thought would be a great idea for an event sponsored by Geocaching Maine's gc.com account, but that idea got shot down by everyone. I did contact groundspeak concerning whether it met the guidelines or not and received a reply yesterday. They said having a new event each month was the "best practice" and if the local reviewer was against it then we were stuck. But they are not forbidden.
    Last edited by brdad; 03-23-2010 at 06:26 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I noticed that the same cacher who hosts this event has also put on several by the same in the past which are now archived.

Default Reconsider?

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I noticed that the same cacher who hosts this event has also put on several by the same in the past which are now archived.
    Might this make you consider the note you left about people being high for logging this cache over the years? Some might take offense to it.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Not one bit, Corey! I stand by that comment. No where in the listing for this cache does it state that it is a reoccuring cache. In all honesty, the cache owner says that only 8 cachers may attend the tour, no more. This honestly seems like exclusion. When you hold an event cache, all should be welcome. I don't like caches like this. Not one bit. And I think that the reviewer who allowed this to be published as it is should be removed. There are too many inconsistencies with Geocaching and reviewing. When you see caches like this, and like the one on the Space Station, I wonder about the integrity of the sport. And as you know, being offensive to some is nothing that I particularly worry about. I am bluntly honest.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Not one bit, Corey! I stand by that comment. No where in the listing for this cache does it state that it is a reoccuring cache. In all honesty, the cache owner says that only 8 cachers may attend the tour, no more. This honestly seems like exclusion. When you hold an event cache, all should be welcome. I don't like caches like this. Not one bit. And I think that the reviewer who allowed this to be published as it is should be removed. There are too many inconsistencies with Geocaching and reviewing. When you see caches like this, and like the one on the Space Station, I wonder about the integrity of the sport. And as you know, being offensive to some is nothing that I particularly worry about. I am bluntly honest.
    Perhaps the limit of attendees has to do with the location (more than 8 could not be accomodated on the ship). I was going to try to partake of this when we were in AK but we were there between dates. I didn't feel that I wouldn't be welcome and I clearly understood that I might not make it on ship.

Different parts of the country and World - things are different with caching. Not every area lends itself to hard and fast rules that can not be flexible. I believe that is one reason that reviewers tend to cover locales where they may become familiar with the areas they are reviewing.

Everyone has different opinions and it is that variety which may make this sport fun. Another example of - there is room for everyone and all kinds of caches (physical, event, Earth and the many others). JMHO

However there is a Groundspeak does oversea all Geocaches and does have rules regarding them. Consistency is very important.