vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FTF Prizes

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I put a Rolex in one of the 111 caches we put out in the Liberty area that were found today. Lots of "serial logs" and no mention whatsoever of the many goodies and trackables we put in these caches. Guess that part of it was a waste of effort?
    OK, Here is my two cents worth. We four cachers put a lot of thought, planning, cache making, driving, and computer work into this Power Run. Special Kudos to shuman road searchers for the idea in the first place! A power run done by four cachers. (it enables each of us to get at least 75 caches!) Also a big thanks to TAT who knew of this a long time ago and helped us a lot along the way to getting them all published together on the same day. March 31st was like Christmas eve for us!
    I know it is a big let down to sit at the "pute" waiting to read the logs on a series you have put out, only to find each log exactly the same as the one before, because it was "copy and pasted" with no comment to the individuality of each cache.
    I also know how difficult it is to log in more then a hundred cache finds!
    There is a happy medium. I "copy and paste" as well, but I also try to add at least a small comment at the end of the "copy and paste" that is germaine to that particular cache. Even if it's only something like "Lots of cool swag in this cache..WOW!" It just makes the cache placer feel it's been worth it. I mean, after all, it is one of the reasons cachers place caches...to read the logs.
    It could be worse. A lot of cachers find a cache and log...TFTCSL
    That's the pits for me......just TFTCSL and nothing else. Bummer man.
    To be fair, some of the FTF logs on this run did have small comments added at the end and that was appreciated. Also moxieh's log on the FTF gift of the Nintendo Game Boy Advance was really cool! I could almost hear the joy!
    All in all I'm pleased and look forward to future logs. These are placed in a nice area of Maine and a lot of people should enjoy themseves here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    OK, Here is my two cents worth. We four cachers put a lot of thought, planning, cache making, driving, and computer work into this Power Run. Special Kudos to shuman road searchers for the idea in the first place! A power run done by four cachers. (it enables each of us to get at least 75 caches!) Also a big thanks to TAT who knew of this a long time ago and helped us a lot along the way to getting them all published together on the same day. March 31st was like Christmas eve for us!
    I know it is a big let down to sit at the "pute" waiting to read the logs on a series you have put out, only to find each log exactly the same as the one before, because it was "copy and pasted" with no comment to the individuality of each cache.
    I also know how difficult it is to log in more then a hundred cache finds!
    There is a happy medium. I "copy and paste" as well, but I also try to add at least a small comment at the end of the "copy and paste" that is germaine to that particular cache. . . .
    Copy and paste . . . nah, not for me . . . I figure anyone who took the time to put out a cache deserves a real log entry . . . and that's why I took the time on the Stud Mill Road to write a bit about the cacher if I knew them . . . and on the Star Wars caches I took the time to write a little about our adventures along the way or a little about the movies . . . i.e. I wrote about posing in my Jedi outfit I made . . . or how Brad and Hiram seemed to think I was a real Star Wars geek since I knew quite a bit of the SW references (for the record I am not a SW geek).

Sure, some of the caches are a challenge and the log entry may be a bit blaise . . . it's hard to stay creative when you're working on #87 and every tree begins to look the same . . . but I still steadfastly refuse to just do the cut and paste since I know it annoys the hell out of me when folks on a cache outing do the same to me when I've placed out what I think are some caches in nice places or with a historical story . . . and all I read is "Cache 7 out of 15 for the day. Yeah for me, another Smiley."

So that's my promise to you Mapachi . . . no cut and paste logs when I go Car Shopping . . . perhaps as early as tomorrow.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Unique posts

We logged unique posts to the caches we found on the Stud Mill Rd. We had so much fun riding that dusty road and singing Beatles tunes with our friends
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Default Posts

Haven't seen any posts yet that would make me want to go out and do this again. I did 19 of them today, all different, and all worthy of a comment or two. I guess it comes down to whether the finder has ever placed a cache. If you have, then you can appreciate something more then " Easy Find, TFTC." Why not just an "F" for "Found" . Wouldn't that be easier?. I think I'm beginning to understand why brad disfavors this, while maybe not for the same reasons!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Haven't seen any posts yet that would make me want to go out and do this again. I did 19 of them today, all different, and all worthy of a comment or two. I guess it comes down to whether the finder has ever placed a cache. If you have, then you can appreciate something more then " Easy Find, TFTC." Why not just an "F" for "Found" . Wouldn't that be easier?. I think I'm beginning to understand why brad disfavors this, while maybe not for the same reasons!
    Careful, once you step over to the dark side you are branded for life.

On a couple occasions, I have posted only a to a cache log. It is a little rough, but if the cache only means another number to me then that is worth 1000 words. Very few caches meet that criteria, most any of them deserve some mention. And some people are just not writers, so you can excuse a log or two. But it's too bad when there is a decent cache and there is less than 30 words between the first 10 logs. It used to be logs might help determine how good a cache was, that is getting to be less true.

I wish there was an easy answer...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Interesting Dan. You know, I really enjoy getting that email when someone has logged a find on one of mine and the better the log, the more enjoyment I get. I have found that for the most part, the better the cache (despite whether it's a GRC or a hike), the better the log. My Bennett/Wilson cache has generated some nice logs. So has a simple GRC, "Every Park and Ride....", only because it probably is the only GRC that one has to bushwhack as the cache is retrieved. Great comments Dan.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Default Posts

I agree 100% that the type, nature, and quality of a cache dictates how I log my finds but using the Golden Rule that was drilled into my head by both my parents and the nuns during the formative years, I try to anticipate what a cache placer will think about my posts before I hit the "submit" button. Our clear intent with these new caches was to distinguish them in a dramatic way from the other 2 big series we have in Maine. ( And I thoroughly enjoyed both series and did very little serial logging) Most will agree that we have but the serial loggers are predominating which means either we failed in the mission or that the average cacher cares about numbers only. Or it could be, some cachers just can't type more then 4 letters a minute. I don't know but maybe more people ought to put out a few caches so they can experience both the satisfaction of reading the logs expressing the fun this game is suppposed to bring or logs that really are a waste of band width and leave the cache placer wondering whether the finder actually enjoyed the hide.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Interesting Dan. You know, I really enjoy getting that email when someone has logged a find on one of mine and the better the log, the more enjoyment I get. I have found that for the most part, the better the cache (despite whether it's a GRC or a hike), the better the log. My Bennett/Wilson cache has generated some nice logs. So has a simple GRC, "Every Park and Ride....", only because it probably is the only GRC that one has to bushwhack as the cache is retrieved. Great comments Dan.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I don't know but maybe more people ought to put out a few caches so they can experience both the satisfaction of reading the logs expressing the fun this game is suppposed to bring or logs that really are a waste of band width and leave the cache placer wondering whether the finder actually enjoyed the hide.
    This is very true. Prior to actually planning, researching, and placing a couple of caches our logs perhaps were not very detailed or discriptive as they are now. But although I really enjoy reading the logs people place on my caches I think the thing that impressed me the most was when a cache owner (fins-up) emailed us to say how much he enjoyed reading our logs on the spectical pond series we did. The couple of moments out of his day he took to do that has encouraged me to 1. write better logs, and 2. to know cache owners ACTUALLY do read all the logs. We have found so many caches which appear to be unmaintained and the cache owners havent logged on for years that after a few of those a new cacher tends to wonder if they are writing these for nothing.

Dont loose heart....after the "number" getters are done with this current run people who truely love the caching experience will go out and you will be getting better logs. At least that is what I hope.

I for one (who has yet to do this series) am very gratefull for the time and effort you folks ALL did to put this together.

Thank you
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

[QUOTE=

I for one (who has yet to do this series) am very gratefull for the time and effort you folks ALL did to put this together.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Having placed a cache of my own and then getting the e-mail notifications associated with just that one cache I can see where a power run of caches getting logged would be a massive impact. I think I'd lean toward using a mail checking program and deleting the mail from the server undownloaded (new word?). The logs will still be on the cache listing and my e-mail program wouldn't be bombarded. I use "Mailwasher Free". Works well.