vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing baggies from caches?

Default Removing baggies from caches?

So, I went out this afternoon to do a lot of cache repair replacement and noticed that someone/someones have removed the small baggies that contained the logs, in many of my Star Wars series of caches. I know that caches have mentioned to me that the baggies slow down their caching, and I also know that Ekidokai doesnt have baggies for the log sheets on his Stud Mill Rd. series. However, I also know that someone removed the baggies from Marcipanek's Spaceballs Tribute series which is nearby mine.

What are your opinions on cachers removing baggies (which are part of the cache)? The baggies were put in the caches to protect the log sheets for a reason and also paid for by me. By removing the baggies, it means logs get WET and I have to go out and replace logs more often.

JustPJ66 and I replace baggies when we find one with a wet log and a destroyed baggie. Sure they make it a little more difficult to get to the log, but if the log is at least close to dry it's easier to sign. We've even added a baggie to a cache without one when we found the log dampish. Just goes to show there are a bunch of different people out there. Some like things one way and others like them another way. I disagree with removing baggies from caches that aren't their's, however.

I think if the hider put them in there the cacher should respect that and keep them there, unless they are ripped to the point they do no good anyway. I have heard of cachers in a rush just ripping the bags open to save time. However, everyone tells me to let everyone play the game the way they want to... Jut another example of how ridiculous that statement is...

Even in my ammo boxes I use bags, they are an extra level of protection.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I know when I first started I had no idea what I was doing. The plastic containers the coins came in were really strange to me. In the cold the plastic would crack and break and be useless.

Maybe it was a new cacher or the bags didn't work. On the bigger caches I have used bags and they don't seem to last too well.

I have bought a bunch of write in the rain logs for the SMR and have started replacing them. It is more expensive, but with people insisting on doing them in the rain even with a baggy the regular paper ones will get wet.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I have notice that the "slide-lock" bags seem to hold up better than the "zip-lock" bags. I have trouble opening "zip-lock" sometimes, and I can just see some "go for the numbers" cacher tearing open a bag rather than trying to open it.

We're using "slide-lock" bags when we do cache maintenance, and we try and put any loose TB's we get into slide-lock bags before we release them.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I know that caches have mentioned to me that the baggies slow down their caching,<deleted>
    The baggies were put in the caches to protect the log sheets for a reason and also paid for by me. By removing the baggies, it means logs get WET and I have to go out and replace logs more often.
    I tend not to express opinion too strongly however with that said, if your view is that the protective baggie is slowing you down for a day of caching, then start a few minutes earlier! You got to be kidding me! That is just a tad too serious. To each their own, I suppose.

Chadd, if you used baggies, or however you set up the cache, then I believe I have a responsibility as a cacher to respect your reasons and your cache.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

My own opinion is if there are baggies with the log then the cache hider should replace the log in the baggie . . . and not tear them open or just remove them . . . the exception being if the baggie is torn and useless.

By they way, your cache series inspired me . . . I think it was the next week I taped the first three episodes of Star Wars on Spike TV . . . and I've been watching the final three episodes via Netflix.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

If I find a log in a baggie I will always try to replace it in the bag unless as already stated the bag is torn. That being said I know that I've also been the one to tear some of the bags with my big clumsy hands. Especially in the winter time small ziploc bags can be hard to open without tearing them. In our upcoming kayaking series we decided to use the waterproof logs, but they are expensive and in series that get high volumes of traffic would be to expensive to use. Power cache runs need to have some sort of bar code that just registers that we have been there.

Having done several thousand baggies in the last several years let me make a couple of comments and share an observation or two.

I always try to leave it better than I found it. Sometimes I have spares and will change out ones that are damaged.

The ones that give me trouble are the inexpensive ones. They just do not hold up. Even being FTF on them they tear easily and some of the brands are very difficult to open.

The other thing is appropriately sized baggies for the cache. Nothing so hard as to stuff a sandwich sized baggie into a film canister or smaller. Also using a baggie that is just the size of the log or undersized is a real pain/problem.

In the cold of winter the baggies do not fair so well either so the spring maintenance is important.

I have started using the mapping paper for some of my logs. The complaint I am getting is that not all pens are created equal when it comes to writing on specialty papers. I carry two types of pens. I always have my Space Pen that writes on just about anything and I also use the Zebra style metal barrel pens. They work well and come in several sizes from regular to smaller.

When baggies are damaged beyond use I will drop a note to the CO and let them know if I did not have a spare to replace it. That is just common sense and most CO's I know want to be made aware there is a problem or if I have fixed a problem.

Cache On!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

My baggies that I use in my micros are good baggies and small, which are perfect for small logs. I don't stuff large baggies into film canisters and unlike the second highest hider in Maine, I don't use non-ziplock baggies in my caches ;-) (ha ha TH!)