vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got my Oregon 550T today.

Hybrid View

Default I got my Oregon 550T today.

I Ordered it from Amazon and got it from the PO today. I got the GSAK Macro for the Colorado/Oregon and loaded 4,915 caches along with descriptions. Once I had the Macro installed it took a minute or two to load it. I like it already. Here is the first picture I took with it.
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...php?photo=2934

The quality of the picture seems good. I took the picture out the open window of my car while it was raining . Shewolf and I will probably head out with it this weekend and put it through its paces. Not much hiking though. It's still too hard on my foot. I already like the idea of not having to take along my PDA and camera.

Okay, it's official. I'm jealous already and you've only posted one pic.

Very nice. How are the maps and driving directions?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Not too shabby of a camera in a GPS. Oh and did you CITO that litter on the lawn in front of you as well?....lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    I Ordered it from Amazon and got it from the PO today. I got the GSAK Macro for the Colorado/Oregon and loaded 4,915 caches along with descriptions. Once I had the Macro installed it took a minute or two to load it. I like it already. Here is the first picture I took with it.
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...php?photo=2934

The quality of the picture seems good. I took the picture out the open window of my car while it was raining . Shewolf and I will probably head out with it this weekend and put it through its paces. Not much hiking though. It's still too hard on my foot. I already like the idea of not having to take along my PDA and camera.
    Nice LT. Been thinking about an Oregon....300 or 400T but maybe I should rethink it.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

It came with the Topo map and has the roads but no driving directions. You have to buy another map for that. I probably will get it pretty soon. Right now I have all the same caches loaded in the Nuvi to get me across the roads but when I am in the woods I can check the cache description, logs, and hint on the Oregon.

I wasn't going to walk around in the rain picking up wet trash and putting in my car. Maybe next time. The picture was taken about 20 feet from a cache in Madison.

It seemed to bring me real close to the same spot as the 60csx did. Once I am used to it I guess I can sell my 60csx and Palm PDA.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    It came with the Topo map and has the roads but no driving directions. You have to buy another map for that. I probably will get it pretty soon. Right now I have all the same caches loaded in the Nuvi to get me across the roads but when I am in the woods I can check the cache description, logs, and hint on the Oregon.

I wasn't going to walk around in the rain picking up wet trash and putting in my car. Maybe next time. The picture was taken about 20 feet from a cache in Madison.

It seemed to bring me real close to the same spot as the 60csx did. Once I am used to it I guess I can sell my 60csx and Palm PDA.

And, what cache would that be? LOL!

Terry, talk to me about this macro. I have a 400t and just download my pocket queries. Am I missing out on something? Is the macro like one giant pocket query so I wouldn't have to run smaller queries for the area I'm caching in?

There are a bunch of different macros.

They can be set up to do all kinds of different things. What the macros do is take the info you have on GSAK and do different things with that. I use GSAK to filter out all my finds and the caches I'm not going to do right away, like puzzles and challenges. The macro takes all that info and converts all the caches so I can download the data into my GPSr's

There is a listing for the macros and what they can do on the site.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Oregon 750 AP

Garmin currently has a new beta protype unit that will be out later this Spring, the 750 AP. This is the "auto pilot" version that requires a receiver to be installed in your car and with a download of the AP macro from GSAK, you punch in a cache, hit "drive me" and the Garmin will drive your car for you to the cache! While the intial price tag on this baby is not for the faint of heart ($12,500), this will be helpful because now you won't have to drive and look at your laptop at the same time!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.