vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got my Oregon 550T today.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Garmin currently has a new beta protype unit that will be out later this Spring, the 750 AP. This is the "auto pilot" version that requires a receiver to be installed in your car and with a download of the AP macro from GSAK, you punch in a cache, hit "drive me" and the Garmin will drive your car for you to the cache! While the intial price tag on this baby is not for the faint of heart ($12,500), this will be helpful because now you won't have to drive and look at your laptop at the same time!
    Er... April Fool??? You know, I kind of liked the "old days" when I printed out the page for the cache, took my etrex legend, and spent more time walking than I did punching buttons. And cache logs could be more than the "TFTC" sent by punching more buttons.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

You guys and all your fancy toys. I liked the old days before we had GPSr's.

Holy crap! What's going on with my phone?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I'm having a GPSr chip implanted in my brain. Soon I'll be able to receive cache listings whenever I walk by a "hot" zone. Then I simply follow the arrow in my brain, straight to the cache!

I've said this a hundred times, being sarcastic but fearing it will come - we won't even be looking for caches, we'll have some GPS that just logs every telephone pole, guardrail, lamp post, and roadkill you pass by. And there will still be people saying let us play the way we want, look at our numbers!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I've said this a hundred times, being sarcastic but fearing it will come - we won't even be looking for caches, we'll have some GPS that just logs every telephone pole, guardrail, lamp post, and roadkill you pass by. And there will still be people saying let us play the way we want, look at our numbers!
    Sheesh! Roadkill? I've seen fake rocks, fake dog doo, and now you're going to give somebody an idea... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Roadkill? I've seen fake rocks, fake dog doo, and now you're going to give somebody an idea... LOL!

To late! Check out my "Rabies" cache up on the Rangley/Stratton road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I'm having a GPSr chip implanted in my brain. Soon I'll be able to receive cache listings whenever I walk by a "hot" zone. Then I simply follow the arrow in my brain, straight to the cache!

Did I say I had an arrow in my brain?! Well, that explains a lot!
    It worked for Steve Martin!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    To late! Check out my "Rabies" cache up on the Rangley/Stratton road.
    It figures. LOL The lightbulb came on and then I see Mapachi beat me to it.
    What a great Right in Plain Sight cache that woulda been.

I went out Thursday and did 32 caches with the Oregon 550T. It seemed accurate, didn't lose the satellites once, didn't seem to drift as much as the 60csx, and I really like the way it is set up for geocaching. I took a few pictures and they came out fine. It's easy to take pictures with and shows on the map where you took them.

The only thing I don't like so far is that without the backlight on it is real hard to see the screen. When you touch the screen it comes on and I set it to stay on 30 seconds. I cached about 8 hours, took a few pictures, and still had good battery life when I was done.

All in all I am very happy with it.

Terry, I got some advice on my unit, the 400t, to set the background maps from green to white, which in some cases lightens up your screen. This might help you as well with your model. Don't ask me how I did it, but you can figure it out I am sure
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."