vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your best Geocachinig story?

Default What's your best Geocachinig story?

I know there have been a few in this crowd!

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=245080
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

I don't have one personally but I remember LaughingTerry had one of his own. It was about a swim he did once across a small pond in his birthday suit. He'll have to tell you or you can read his online cache page log.....lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

April 10 2006

LaughingTerry found Who pulled the plug? (Traditional Cache)

I started in this morning at 8:45 to do all 6 in this park. At 3:15 I had 5 finds, 1 DNF and was back in my car heading out to eat.I was walking along on yet one more leg of the god-awful long multi when I realized there was another cache on my screen. I looked over and what do I see? An island????? It's a nice day and all but an island? the ice has been out what, a couple weeks? Nope, I headed on down the trail to another cache and then on the way back for the multi I find myself back looking across 80 or 100 feet of water to the island.
    I finally decide that I haven't seen a soul around here and it is pretty nice so I walk down and stick my hand in the water. Brrrr, but not too awful bad. I look around once again and proceed to strip down naked. Wow, not too bad out, Pretty nice actually. Then I stepped in the water. YIKEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!
    Now I have a pen and rubber chicken in one hand and the leash to my GPS in my teeth and I start wading across. The water is so cold my feet start to cramp within just a few steps. Then I discover the water is over my head before I get to the midpoint. I am now splashing along with one hand and trying not to gasp(GPS in teeth, remember?). As I find the bottom again the mud is about a foot deep and there are rocks and sticks so I can't run right out.
    I then have to climb through the bushes bare butt naked and make my way across the island. About half way across I hear a voice and see a women running down the trail. Uh Oh, I left my clothes, digital camera, wallet, cell phone, PDA, and walking stick laying on the bank right beside the trail. Now I am running back across the island to make sure she doesn't bother my stuff.
    Being as I was naked I am not real sure what I could have done if she had stopped. Maybe just walk out ti the edge and once she spotted me she would be laughing too hard to bother with my clothes. Luckily she turned and went down another trail without seeing my clothes. Now I had to limp back through the bushes and brambles to the other side of the island AGAIN. Once I got there I almost cried. My GPS said 85 feet that-a-way.
    85 feet that-a-way is yet another island. NO!!!!! please no.... But of course. Well I am already naked so off through the water I go. Once on the island the find was easy. I did my trade and back I went. Throught the waist deep water to the first island, across the island with its brambles and bushes and back into the water again. I swim back to my clothes and try to dry out a little while hoping no one comes along.
    This is another adventure for my "What would you do for a geocache" book I should be writing. LOL Thanks for a great adventure and I ma glad I did this one before summer hit and all the muggles kept me from skinny dipping.
    SL TN Left my signature rubber chicken and "Geocacher at Work" dash card.

LaughingTerry found Bear Mtn Ledge Cache (Traditional Cache)

This will be known as my "Bear Mountain Bushwack!" adventure.I pulled onto the road and drove up to the last house. Decided my Suby didn't have the ground clearance so went back and parked. I took what I thought I would need from my cache bag and headed up the road. Just as the road started up I encountered the "Guardian of the Mountain" He must have stood 4 feet at the shoulder(well, 10 inches) and had 4 inch fangs(well, 1/2 inch teeth) He stood in the road and roared (Well, yapped) at me as if to deny me passage to the top.
    Seeing that I wasn't to be daunted by his ferocity he settled for accompanying me for a while. He dropped out after less than 1/4 mile though. I headed on up but soon realized that my gps showed the trail going off to the left while the cache was directly to my right. Now the dilemma is, do I follow the trail all the way around or bushwack straight up the mountain?
    I am one of those people who would rather do it the shorter way if the potential for more fun is involved so off through the trees I go. Hey, this isn't too bad.....oops, getting steeper....and steeper.....better rest a minute. Hey, rocks, cool, I get to climb some. Real steep now....
    As I find myself with the lanyard to my gps in my teeth, my walking stick wedged in a crack over my head, my left hand grasping the wet stub of a tree root, the fingers of my right hand wedged into a crack, and the boulder I am standing on rocking back and forth precariously as I try to lever myself up onto the next ledge I once again muse on the fact that my sense of adventure far outweighs my sense of self-preservation.
    I get on level ground and snap a picture of where I came from and where I have to go yet as I realize I am still 1/3 of a mile from the cache. On up I go and I finally get to the top. What a view!! What??? almost 1/4 mile to go????? Well the rest was was easy. Walked out to another beautiful view and evidence of either alien visitors or kids having fun. LOL
    The cache was easy after all that but then I still had to get back to the car and it was getting dark by now. I headed down the trail until it forked and neither way went the way I wanted so I bushwacked back down again. *WHEW* Thanks for a great time!!!! I loved it.

ROFL!!!!! The first one literally had me laughing out loud That's awesome.

One time in 2006 I was doing some caching on the lake auburn nature trail. It turns out that there was a geo-rally there at the same time. Well I followed my arrow into the woods for a bit of a bushwhack to the cache. I get to the cache and after a few minutes track it down and sign the log. To leave, I notice a really well packed down trail leaving the cache site. Instead of bushwhacking I will take the easy way out.

As I am nearing the main trail, I see a pink piece of paper in the trail, so of course I stop to read it. The only problem is that the writing is for people that are headed in to the cache not for people coming out. I am standing there attempting to read this pink paper on the trail upside down. I make out the words easy enough after a short time. The sign reads something like "Caution Bees" but in more words. Just as I realize what the pink paper is there for, I get stung everywhere all at once. All I could think is that it is a good thing that sign was there or I might have gotten stung.

Default Or the time...

Or the time that I drove up to the moosehead area to place a bunch of caches. I had some caches placed at quite a few of the remote ponds, up to the size of a five gallon buket. There was also one on the first piece of debris at the B-52 Crash Site which is some ways away from where the rest of the debris is. Anyway, I spent the weekend placing the caches. On the way home the gps malfunctioned and erased all data. I did not hand write the coordinates, so they were immediatly lost. So this past weekend, I was going up to moosehead and figured that I would get the coordinates to these "Dead" Caches and revive them.

I stop in waterville to leave Ekidokai the cable for the garmin gps mentioned in another thread. I was planning on leaving the cable as a cache then giving Ekidokai the coordinates so he could pick it up at his leisure on his trip to auburn. I place the cache, Grab the Gps.... Wait where is the gps. I look everywhere, tear my truck apart. I left the gps at home some hour and a half away. The only logical thing to do was to stop at walmart and buy a cheap gps. They had a Magellin Triton for sale, so I picked it up. Back outside I place Ekidokai's cache with the new gps. I call him and leave the coordinates.

In the parking lot I hook up the laptop to the Triton. You need internet to install the gps drivers, so my laptop does not recognize it. No go, So I manually enter the coordinates in the gps and they are way off from where the cache should be. I call up the magellin customer service and talk with a rep. He walks me thru the settings, everything looks good. I pull up the waypoint on the map, still way off. The rep is unsure of what is causing the problem. We reset the unit and try again. This time it works correctly apparantly the unit had a glitch. The rep even asked me if I was sure the unit was a factory unit and not a refurb. I told him I literally bought the thing 15 mintues ago at a walmart, and now I am in the parking lot at the walmart. Now I have to call up Ekidokai, because the coordinates are WAY off. After finding some caches, I find out that this gps is not very accurate, at some caches it said the gz was about 70 feet from the cache.

I go to get my first FTF on GC1X4F3, arrive at the parking area, and the lake is frozen. How the heck am I going to canoe out on a frozen lake. So I drive up to the family camp in moosehead. Then it hits me, this gps is not accurate enough get coordinates for a cache that other people are going to attempt to find. So I went out and gathered most of the caches that I had placed and brought them back home.

The good news that on the next day I was able to get the FTF on the now unfrozen wyman lake.

Quite the Geocaching Trip.

I may have had a few. Kids Cache #1 GC1ND88

4/6/2009 by Ekidokai
    Ok, my turn at this. I get off work at about 8AM I decide to head off to see if I can find this cache. I get to the edge of the parking lot and start up the GPSr, enter the coordinates and off I go.

I check the easy way and search on one side of the fence. Nope, the Magellan says it will be on the other side. I get to te end of the land trail, that is now a peninsula surrounded by several feet of water and pricker bushes and thorny vines, and the magellan says it is just about 11 feet ahead. I am really fighting at this point just to stand up against the thorns tearing at my clothes. I grab a nearby stick and poke it into the water. Then I stand it up next to me. The water mark is even with my rear-end. My boots only go as far as my ankles.

Well, lets see...I could go get my folding step ladder. Nope to much trouble at this point. I could just wade out, but the water is nasty and deep. I know, I'll collect some of the surrounding scrap wood and build a bridge.

I get a pipe and a couple of boards and some branches. I fight the thorns, again tearing at my clothes and skin too this time. I'm at the edge of the water and this is not easy at all. I check the difficulty of the cache again using my Nuvi and it says 2. I think there will need to be an adjustment.

I drop the materials into the span and low and behold I have a bridge. I am pretty proud of my self. I inch my way across and reach down for the cache and there it is. Success!

Crack! Oh crap! Liar! I holler out! Sending the kids in the nearby playground running for the safety of the building. Kids do that around me sometimes for some reason. 2 difficulty? My still dry rear-end. I repeat, "I will stay dry", "I will stay dry".

The bridge cannot hold an industrial sized bald headed cigar sucking Guinea and the cache. I throw the cache to dry land. Right into the thick of the thorns. Crap! I grab some of the skinny trees no bigger than a branch to stabilize myself. I may get through this dry after all.

Using the skinny trees and inching my way back I try and widen my stance to even out the tremendous weight a little. All seems well. My foot is just inches from shore. Crack! slogged! Splash! Crap! In I go. scattering the bridge materials in several directions. Thank God no one is around to see this one. I am wet up to my armpits because I sunk into the ground. I wish Jason (the owner) was here right now. I really do.

I slog my way to land, fight the thorns and vines, pick up the cache and off to Ekidokai's Okeydokey Mobile TB I go. Wet, muddy, bleeding and dragging a thorny mass of vines behind me. They wont let go.

The cache is in hand Jason. I'm not going back in there for no reason. "2" my A**.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 04-06-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Almost every trip I go out with Hiram on is an adventure in itself . . . although I'm still waiting with baited breath for him to tell his Harris Mountain Hide-away tale since it's a classic.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."