vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GPS Mapping software

Default Garmin GPS Mapping software

Hi there I am new to the forum and new to GPS. I bought a Garmin Etrex Ledgend and wanted to use some of the maps on my computer. Does anyone have a version that they would share with me so I can try it? I understand there are quite a few versions of different software but the Garmin topo is the version you can get with the GPS.

wbdent I have most of their software that I can share with you. If you come to the next caching event then I will share it with you.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...8-45645930ca07
    Blazing Troll

I cant make that particular date, although I would really love to. I desperatly need some help learning to use my new GPS. I have printed all the material but it is very dry reading without something to try it on. I cant wait to get started finding some of these caches with my daughter. It sounds like alot of fun and good exercise. I will have to wait for the next date you are going to have one. That one is on Fathers day weekend and I will be in NH all weekend.

d’76 Guest

Talking

If you can't come to the event, make your own that suites your dates. Some of us will surely be able to come and then give you some pointers. I think that we can be bought with food and frosty cold beverages.(I can anyway)

I haven't even started using the mapping software that I have as of yet. I was wondering why you think you need mapping software to begin with anyway? I have been caching for a little over 2 years now and have yet to use it. Do you get the pocket queries from GC.com yet? If not you can just use the free download capabilities of Easy GPS to get the waypoints into the GPS anyway. Also there is a free software package that you can download and use for a limited time to try and that is called GSAK. Just do a Google search on both to find out how they work.

There are quite a few within 20 miles of Belgrade to go out and find. 3 or 4 right in the Belgrade and Rome area that I can think of off hand. One being mine at French's Mnt and one at Blueberry Hill and another at Round Top Mnt. There a few in Augusta also. Just punch in your zip code and you will find plenty to choose from, so mapping software is just something extra that you don't need to get you started on the road to addiction. Hope that helps some.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Haffy6,

I am a very big fan of the Garmin "TOPO US" maps that can be loaded into the GPS. These put a 100K topo map right in the GPS so that instead of just having a "big empty screen" showing your current location and the cache location, one actually has a topo map. The biggest advantage is that the map shows many hiking trails, jeep trails, and logging roads in addition to ridges, swamps, ponds, etc. If you are ever out caching, and are wondering which way to go around a pond, or which trail junction to take, or even are wondering if there is a trail or logging road going anywhere near that cache, these maps can be a tremendous help. They are also very helpful for finding a driving route that gets you as near to the cache as possible. For times that it's difficult to bring along a printed Delorme atlas, the GPS maps are great. I don't know how I ever cached without them. Every time I go caching with a group of cachers, the maps always seem to help our group out somehow by saving us the long trip around a pond or locating a trail to avoid a nasty bushwhack.

I speculate that attroll who posted above probably has this mapping software or something similar so that you can try it out before buying.

--ken

Quote Originally Posted by solid-rock-seekers
    Haffy6,

I am a very big fan of the Garmin "TOPO US" maps that can be loaded into the GPS. These put a 100K topo map right in the GPS so that instead of just having a "big empty screen" showing your current location and the cache location, one actually has a topo map.
    --ken
    I got Garmin's TOPO US when I got my GPSMap 60c and I LOVE IT. Not sure if you can use it on the eTtrex Legend, though, but since I upgraded from the Legend and still have it, I'll try it and see what happens.

Default Recomendations

I have Topo and World Map. World map was very disapointing, not much better than the base map (not better than nothing!)

Topo US on the other hand, is a great aid to finding caches.
    And it also has reasonable information for some limitted improtu hiking. I would never advise relying on it in place of a map, but it can come in handy in some situations.

The bottom line is, though, you do not need any mapping program. The base map is a good way to start.

You may actually want to get familiar with some non-mapping programs, like GSAK (my favorite!). Most of the info. needed to find caches are are the cache page and not on any map.

I actually do more than just caching I am working on mapping some trails for my atv and snomobile clubs caching was something my boss turned me onto for fun with my daughter and we could go hiking etc to do it. I just thought someone may have a copy that I could try another person on a different site suggested garmin roads and trials another mappig software but I would like to show the maps on the computer also when I am done.

wbdent I agree with Tat. WhereRWe the US Topo for work on the ETrex Legend. World map is very disappointing. I have the following Garmin software. Worldmap, USTopo, US Roads & Rec, Metro Guide, Americas Blue Chart, Americas Tide and Services.

wbdent I also have Delorme’s TOPO USA software. I like that a lot better for putting my tracks on when I get back from hiking trips or snowmobile trips. It shows where I have been. In my opinion that is far more superior then Garmin’s software. But the only problem with the Delorme’s software is that is can not be loaded into the GPS.
    Blazing Troll