vb:literal>

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another tick disease.

Vaseline suffocates them.

Vaseline? Does that cause them to die in place or do they attempt to pull their head out to survive? I had to pull one out of the back of my sons neck this past weekend after spending the weekend in and around the woods. I think it may have been in overnight as he had pajamas with a hood on and it was just at the base of the hairline blending in. I felt bad as he was scared to heck to have me going at it with rubbing alcohol and a pair of tweezers. It was almost impossible to get with tweezers without taking a couple pieces of hair with it so he was just about screaming in pain. Horrible horrible horrible feeling to have to cause the pain but be finally got the darn thing out. Check kids well to get em before they burrow.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I have heard Vaseline is not a good idea. Supposedly the idea is to remove the tick unwillingly, if he exits on his own will he will regurgitate some of the saliva as he withdraws and this is often when diseases enter the body.

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp
    Last edited by brdad; 04-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Just don't mess up and put K-Y Intense on them or you might have an aroused tick to deal with.

Also, you have to be careful when removing them with tweezers because if you "squish " any of the tick it goes into your skin. Tick removers are better. If you have a tick embeded and engorged in your skin I would definitely get to my dr. and get an antibiotic myself. They can give you a dose of two pills to try to ward off lyme, but I think you have to do this very soon. Thats what I did last week when one was in my back..but its up to you and how seriously you take it. Having had lyme once I don' t want to take any more chances.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Default Alright then....

....what are people doing to prevent/keep off ticks? Spray? Clothing? Duct tape? If you're opposed to chemicals, what steps do you take?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

There is an all natural product, Maine made product, which is made by a Native American and I have found it to be very effective. It is available in many Maine stores. Works on tics and other bugs - safe to use with children.

PM me if you want more information.

Light colored clothes (so I can see the ticks) Long sleeve shirts with tight wrists. Blousing rubbers on my ankles or elastic ankled sweatpants. I also keep "OFF" wipes tucked around the collar of my shirt. I have brushed many ticks off me, but have only found one embedded in three years of caching! (I took that off with a tick puller and it came out with it's head attached.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    The best way to check your body for ticks? ..... Shower with a friend!

Besides, it's a nice way to get clean!

Oh yeah, don't shower with your Cat! ........Could get dangerous in that shower stall!

This made my day . . . I actually laughed out loud . . . but I refuse to post LOL . . . but I did . . . I really started laughing out loud. Funny stuff Mapachi.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    ....what are people doing to prevent/keep off ticks? Spray? Clothing? Duct tape? If you're opposed to chemicals, what steps do you take?
    Easy answer: Go caching with Hiram . . . for some reason he attracts all the ticks.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."