vb:literal>

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Another tick disease.

Default GD Ticks

I'm afraid there's plenty of them in this area. I did a few of my fellow Power Ranger caches and woke up the next night with one burrowing into my side. Found another gnawing on my ankle....and I checked but didn't have Di check me. Should have let Eagle Eye look me over and put up with her usual "commentary" about my physique.

I thought I had it last year, for sure. The first test was iinconclusive so the blood work went to a lab on the west coast for what I'm told was much like DNA testing.

Negative results but all the symptoms. I was referred to so rheumatoid spe******ts and had every test known to mankind with a final diagnosis of arthritis, thankfully, not the rheumatoid variety.

It's nasty stuff. Bill Chinook, a friend of mine, took his life. We need to check ourselves and take this seriously.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Your neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    GRCs are sounding better and better to me too. I think I'll just do GRCs for the summer. And I'm going to put one out here soon.. but ticks don't seem to be that big a problem here in the frozen north. I only get them when I cache in Augusta. So why don't you all come caching here? I love to meet other cachers!
    JustPJ66 and I were up in your area today. Took Route 17 from Readfield all the way to Rangeley then took the S Shore Drive across to 4 and meandered across 16 to Kingfield. Then 27 to Farmington, 2 out of Farmington back down 27 home to Belgrade. Managed to abscond with a Kayaking Loon pathtag from one cache. We'll add it to our collection of cacher specific items.

I am quite certain that some reports say you don't aways get the bullseye rashe. I am not sure why a doctor would tell you that. Makes you wonder if everyone really takes this seriously.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Let's see. $200 to the doctor to be told if you don't have a bullseye, you don't have the disease. My takehome pay was about $147 that week. Do you really think I am going to pay another $200 for a second opinion. Now that I've hit 53 and am officially in old age, I'll go with the opinion that it's just normal aches and pains.

Default Oh my

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Should have let Eagle Eye look me over and put up with her usual "commentary" about my physique.
    Lawyers have physiques?

Default Men of steel!

Twice, just yesterday I had to tell two different total strangers: " No, I'm not on steroids but thank you for asking!"

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Lawyers have physiques?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

We are always more at ease caching here in Bangor or to the north. I've yet to get a tick on my up here, but have seen them on dogs so I know they are here. What gets me is - all this technology - we sent a man to the moon 40 years ago - and yet, we can't get rid of these things????

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    The disease is mostly in deer ticks but can be found in some dog ticks. Now, my question is, is a wood tick the same as a dog tick???
    Yes, the American dog tick and wood tick are the same thing - Dermacenter variabilis. There is a brown dog tick as well, which is very rare here and from what I read cannot survive our Winters.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-19-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Here in Belgrade in the last 3 or 4 years the tick population has really exploded. we have to be quite careful now not to bring ticks in to the house and we have to be sure the dog has his flea and tick meds on time too. There didnt use to be any ticks up this far so wait they will keep moving and when they do they bring all their nasty diseases with them. Our dog was treated for lyme disease several years ago which he got when we lived in Farmingdale.

They are out there. ....an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure so we take some percautions even if we might not think we need to.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    Here in Belgrade in the last 3 or 4 years the tick population has really exploded.
    I'm sure its just a coincidence, but I heard the tick population has really gone down in the last 3 or 4 years in Farmindale where you moved from.
    Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience.
    Click here to see my album, "Pictures Don't Lie!"

Quote Originally Posted by rcwhit View Post
    I'm sure its just a coincidence, but I heard the tick population has really gone down in the last 3 or 4 years in Farmindale where you moved from.

Thanks Bob
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.