vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Years - What changes have you seen?

Karen you started April 18, 2004 A good year in deed.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Brdad - I hope that journalist is reading these comments. Some of them are GREAT!
    Yes, there are - but I'm still waiting for posts from you and many other members! I know you all have something worth saying!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I started caching in the spring of 2006 and became addicted to the sport right from the start. I have done almost every kind of cache imaginable and have enjoyed them all. To me they all have there own unique draw, some take you to places you never knew existed and others provide a challenge to find something hidden right in plain site, while power runs challenge you to see how many can be done in the shortest amount of time. All are great.

I have a very addictive personality and if it wasn't for other commitments, I know I could spend everyday looking for treasures hidden in the woods.

The biggest change and the best thing about caching for me, without a doubt, is all the friends Cheryl and I have made along the way. When we started the JD Foundation Cheryl asked me where we were going to find the help and support we would need to make this work. We turned to the geocaching group and asked for help and the response was and continues to be overwhelming. All of us as geocachers are fortunate to belong to a group that does so much to help one another, great causes, the environment, while all the while having fun.

I started caching in December 2005, though didn't find my first cache until February 2006. I haven't been able to do a lot of caching (was injured in Iraq during the 1991 Gulf war and have had several and may still need a few more surgeries), but caching isn't about the numbers for me. I view caching as my therapy. It allows me to enjoy the outdoors in ways I never would have thought possible. And it gives me something to look forward to when I am recuperating from a surgery or just plan soreness. The biggest difference from when I first started until now is the number of available caches. I personally like the small micros though sometimes my hands aren't strong enough to open them. I dislike the larger cache sizes, especially the ammo cans. For one, I have a hard time opening them, and I generally have anxiety attacks as I get ready to open them. Silly I know, I've never heard of a cache being booby trapped, but it happens. I know I don't have to go for these caches, but not going after them defeats the purpose of using caching as my therapy. Over all, I like the way caching has progressed over the years. I love the unique hides as well as the simply guard rail caches, though not all are simple (I still can't find Mapachi's Brutal cache after four separate hunts). Someone said there doesn't have to be a cache in every guard rail and on every street sign just because there can be, but it wouldn't upset me if that was the case. I'd still grab my GPS and enjoy going out to grab them. I can't wait to see what the next ten years of caching brings us.

After reading what I posted, it sounds like I was saying some caches have been booby trapped. Sorry about that! That wasn't what I meant to say because as far as I know, none have ever been. What I meant to say that as silly as having an anxiety attack before opening a cache sounds, I still have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattish View Post
    After reading what I posted, it sounds like I was saying some caches have been booby trapped. Sorry about that! That wasn't what I meant to say because as far as I know, none have ever been. What I meant to say that as silly as having an anxiety attack before opening a cache sounds, I still have them.
    Not silly . . . we all heal differently in our own time . . . some wounds are obvious . . . some many never see.

Be healthy . . . stay well.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Rattish View Post
    I agree with FFJ, not silly. I'll take his comment a couple of steps further. My hat, sir, is off to you and I give you a heart felt thank you for your service to our country.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    I agree with FFJ, not silly. I'll take his comment a couple of steps further. My hat, sir, is off to you and I give you a heart felt thank you for your service to our country.
    I agree wholeheartedly with FFJ and JustKev. Thank you to you and to other service men and women.

Default Ditto ditto and more ditto...

Rattish, thanks for all your have sacrificed so that us geocachers can do something so trivial as finding tupperware in the woods. And that goes to all the other people who have served and are serving currently. We seem to have a good percentage of military members on this site, thanks to you all.

Regarding any anxieties or difficulty opening containers, you are not alone. There is at least one member here with the same fear, and probably more. If you're ever looking for one in my area (Bangor) let me know and I'll be happy to accompany you and help any way I can. And I am sure many of our other members would be willing to match that offer as well.

We're getting a bit off topic, but supporting cachers who have served is important. Perhaps we need a new thread for that, perhaps named the Military Cacher Thread!
    Last edited by brdad; 04-14-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Thanks from me as well!

I just recently met Rattish and we did a bunch of caches together. He's definetly one of the good guys and a quick study as well. I helped introduce him to the so-called "Stud Mill Road" style caches. He and his fellow soldiers that served have introduced me to the humility we should all have when recognizing the sacrifices that have been made for all of us.

Anytime you want to cache with me, I'll be the first to stick my hand in the stump, GR's or whereever is necessary. Great to have you and a lot of other great folks that have served as part of this community!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.