vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premium Only Caches

Default Premium Only Caches

Prompted by an earlier thread, allow me to pose this question to those who place caches.
    If you choose to place a cache that is available to only to premium level members, why? Is it to limit FTF frenzy? Is it to reduce possible coin/TB theft?
    When you place several caches and perhaps only one is premium level only, why is that?
    Or, why do you choose not to make them premium level only?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I have changed the only cache that I have to a Premium Membership cache for a few reasons. I do not know how valid they are, but I did it anyway. The first reason is one that you mentioned, Theft. The other is vandalism. Think about the bored high school kids with nothing to do. If they look online and find geocaching, and they know that their parents have a gps used for hunting. They might join the sight for Free, use the Free GPS and have Free entertainment by vandalizing caches. This does not seem to be much of a problem around here, but by requiring them to pay some money they may pass the cache up as one to vandalize.

Those are my reasons, I am sure that there are many others.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    If you choose to place a cache that is available to only to premium level members, why? Is it to limit FTF frenzy? Is it to reduce possible coin/TB theft?
    We've never placed a "premium only" cache, but if we did, the reason would DEFINITELY be an effort to reduce TB/coin theft. (Don't get me started on that subject, though!)

Actually you don't need a GPS anymore to geocache. A lot of cell phones have the GPS built right in. There are a few people out there caching with only their cell phones. As technology keeps advancing geocaching (and a lot of other hobbies) are becoming a lot less exclusive.

That said, I haven't done a member only but the only reason I can think of that I would is if there have been a lot of caches muggled in the area I places it.

I have never placed a MOC, but LaughingTerry brings up a good point. Cache information and access is much more available with the capabilities of cell phones, and more and more people own then, including those pesky kids!

We have had issues with bored kids vandalizing caches as early as 2003, So with the increase in the number of caches as well as the increased ease of access, cache owners should be prepared for problems at some time.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Geocaching should be free, I will never post member only cache. I post hard puzzle caches instead, that should prevent vandalizing them by retards
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Geocaching should be free, I will never post member only cache. I post hard puzzle caches instead, that should prevent vandalizing them by retards
    That is partly why the loophole was left so non-premium members could log MOCs. Anyone can log a MOC without paying.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

but it isn't free...computer, internet connection, gps receiver, gas, locknlocks, etc...BTW, you are a premium member so you support GC.com, but don't think other people should?

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Prompted by an earlier thread, allow me to pose this question to those who place caches.
    When you place several caches and perhaps only one is premium level only, why is that?
    Or, why do you choose not to make them premium level only?
    The last few caches that I placed I placed as premium only for a short time. I did it only to be able to see who was looking at them. I thought it was kind of cool! They are no longer premium and available to all.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

While I like the fact that MOCs might reduce the theft of trackables, I think the site and most caches should be open to the public. If it weren't free, think about all the people that you've had to explain caching to that thought it was cool and wanted to get into it but the cost of a GPS and a membership scare them away. I know if I had to pay just to try this game, I would have said forget it...thats stupid. I feel exactly the same way about internet games like World of Warcraft or any of those. You'll never get me to even try it because the game itself has a monthly fee right from the start. Using the analogy that lots have used, caching is like a drug. Having them open to the public allows people to try, then get hooked, then they want more....After a while, they want the toys that everyone else has like a premium membership and GSAK. It took a while for me to pay for the membership but I was hooked. If all the caches were MOC, it certainly would be more exclusive but would be way less fun.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry