vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PN-40 Problems

I had the same type of problems with my first pn-40 but after being out in the middle of the woods with low batteries for about the 3rd time that same day I ended up putting the batteries in backwards and smoked the thing up.(and boy did it smell) (I thought the jeep was on fire) LOL. Got another one a few days later and havent really had any problems with this one. I also own a few garmins and I do like my oregon for geocaching but when out in the middle of the woods hiking or jeep'n I'll take my pn40 any day of the year. I just know that I MUST KEEP fresh batteries on hand. LOL.

Anyone having troubles downloading maps from DeLorme ? As far as the PN 40 goes~I like it..I did have a problem with the PN 30 and the people at DeLorme gave back my money {no problem} But this thing about a Trojan in the maps really bug's me..

Sheesh!

I've been a member of GeocachingMaine.org for almost 6 years, and I've NEVER seen as many performance complaints about a Garmin GPSr as there have been about the Delorme units. Does that mean something to anyone? LOL!

Yeah, your old.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh!

I've been a member of GeocachingMaine.org for almost 6 years, and I've NEVER seen as many performance complaints about a Garmin GPSr as there have been about the Delorme units. Does that mean something to anyone? LOL!
    Delorme introduced its first handheld all the waaay back in 2007...I think the eTrex came out almost 10 years earlier...I suspect early on with any product there are always issues, problems, complaints, etc...Don't get me wrong, I loved my old, yellow eTrex and did a lot of caching with it and then my GPSMap60, but really appreciate all that I can do with my pn40...I'm just glad there are more and more choices out there...competition makes them all better!

I still have my original Yellow Etrex That I bought over a year before I started caching, and put through heck on my ATV. I ripped the battery compartment cover off (it now has screw holding it on), and there is a bad line in the display now. But that says a lot for their first Etrex model, and one of the first of that model on the market. That's quite impressive dependability for a first model IMO.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I still have my Yellow eTrex and will be using it until this situation passes. I'm making the trek up to Delorme tomorrow morning to see what they can do.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

My PN-40 has never done ANY of this.... NEVER. I know that TeamHorwich's has never done any of this either..... and then I head from Iampaw and NativeMainer that they do this. Very odd. My PN-40 has been through thick and and thin with me without any real issues. Could this just be operator error or bad kharma? Sorry to say it, but what are you guys doing with your PN-40 different than us? Although, I must ask, where did you purchase yours? lol I am convinced that the PNs that are sold through Amazon are junk.... I have a friend in Cambridge MA who bought one for cheap from Amazon and he is convinced that we have better "satillite reception" in Maine than in Mass. HA HA HA As if reception differs from state to state when the states are only 15 miles apart at one point....seriously, you;d be better off just staying with the PN-40 even with the very odd glitches for your numbers run, than using your yellow eTrex.

And as far as Garmin performance complaints???? I have tried the PN-40 vs almost every other Garmin out there and I have tons of complaints about the Garmins. Heck, contact Marcianek and let him rip into the Colorado.... LOL that thing is a P.O.S. !!!!!

When I was working for that large retailer I accessed the records and found that 65% of the 40's sold were returned shortly after the sale date as being defective. It is impossible to zero in on the reason exactly. That is a huge return rate. The only thing I can remember that rivaled that was way back when they had a Black Friday sale on real cheap TVs and DVDs, we got 79% of those back.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

LL bean has 4 or 5 delorme models for sale in their outlet store that were returned only one garmin...

Just saying is all
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.