vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PN-40 Problems

Default PN-40 Problems

Anyone with a PN-40 ever have a problem with it not powering up? I tried to start mine this morning and I got nothing. I thought I left the unit on overnight and killed the batteries, but I tried three or four sets of batteries. Nothing.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Of course, no sooner did I post this when I decided to give it one last try. It fired right up, no problem. ***SIGH***
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I just recently had to send mine in for the same problem. The replaced the power unit and got it back to me in less than a week. I have not had any other problems.

That's been the big trouble with those. Have not heard about it for a while. Guess they missed a few.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I bought the PN-40 when it first came out. I discovered quickly that when I disconnected it from external power the whole unit shut off and I would lose all my caches. I took it back for a new unit and the same thing happened. I went back a third time in 2 weeks (Oakland to Yarmouth) and got a refund. I've had great luck with my Garmin Oregon 400t. I still own a PN-20 that my kids use.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Thumbs down

I didn't learn the first time. I had my first PN40 for about eight month and had to take it back to delorme 3 times. I finally said that I wanted a new one, that I shouldn't have this much trouble. They finally did give me a new one. About two months later I was back again with the new one. Then I had trouble loading caches and figured it was the cable because I tried a friends and caches loaded fine. When I went to delorme their response was "I needed to buy a new computer" I was so mad I left before I said something I should not. The next day I sent a friend with my cable to get a replacement for. They gave one to her and when she asked how much it was they said "they were giving them away" If my unit was a couple of years old or even a year old I wouldn't have been asking for a new cord or unit but when they are less than six months old and have spent 400 dollars then I should have something that works not a 400 paperweight.

have had mine for a year and can honestly say I have not had any of those problems...

Same with me. Almost a year and none of these problems. My PN-40 is consistent and works under amazingly difficult conditions. And with the new 2.7 Firmware update meant for GIS users, it beats the heck out of any other device, save Delorme's PN-60, not that ANY of us would know what the PN-60 is like.... ha ha

In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "Crappity Crap Crap Crap." I was out on a FTF run this morning, and I found the first one with no problem. Driving away from that one, it died, and it started back up when I put in new batteries. Then, while trying to hunt for another cache, it just plain froze up, and now it won't start back up again. Time to send it back. Bummer, and I was planning on using it for a numbers run next week while I'm on vacation. I still have my old unit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "Crappity Crap Crap Crap." I was out on a FTF run this morning, and I found the first one with no problem. Driving away from that one, it died, and it started back up when I put in new batteries. Then, while trying to hunt for another cache, it just plain froze up, and now it won't start back up again. Time to send it back. Bummer, and I was planning on using it for a numbers run next week while I'm on vacation. I still have my old unit, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    it beats the heck out of any other device
    My Garmin doesn't do this...