vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wondering

With my PN-40, and the 2.7 Firmware update for it, I can use either the internal or the expansion memory (SD card, and in my case a 32 gig SD card) to save GPX files each with up to 1000 waypoints. This pretty much allows me to hold an unlimited amount of caches on my device. I think that I could actually fit every cache in the world onto the PN-40 and still have PLENTY of room left over for maps and imagery from Delorme's online map library.
    Most GPX files with about 1000 caches generated through my GSAK are about 800kb. So lets round that off to 1mb for a GPX file of 1000 caches. With about 1,040,000 active caches word wide, that means that it would take 1040 GPX files to hold them all when you have 1000 caches per file which means it would take 1040mb of room which would be a little over 1 Gig of memory and that leaves 31 gig on my SD card plus several hundred MBs of internal memory available!

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    With my PN-40, and the 2.7 Firmware update for it, I can use either the internal or the expansion memory (SD card, and in my case a 32 gig SD card) to save GPX files each with up to 1000 waypoints. This pretty much allows me to hold an unlimited amount of caches on my device. I think that I could actually fit every cache in the world onto the PN-40 and still have PLENTY of room left over for maps and imagery from Delorme's online map library.
    Most GPX files with about 1000 caches generated through my GSAK are about 800kb. So lets round that off to 1mb for a GPX file of 1000 caches. With about 1,040,000 active caches word wide, that means that it would take 1040 GPX files to hold them all when you have 1000 caches per file which means it would take 1040mb of room which would be a little over 1 Gig of memory and that leaves 31 gig on my SD card plus several hundred MBs of internal memory available!
    Sheesh! Sounds like a terrible waste of a 32gig SD card...

How do you figure it's a waste? Right now I have almost all of Maine's color sat imagery on that card, plus all the USGS topo maps, and of course Delorme's TOPO 8.0 maps and that is only using about 16 Gigs....

How do you figure it's a waste? Right now I have almost all of Maine's color sat imagery on that card, plus all the USGS topo maps, and of course Delorme's TOPO 8.0 maps and that is only using about 16 Gigs....
    Oops. Sorry. You stated that it "leaves 31 gig on my SD card plus several hundred MBs of internal memory available!". I didn't infer that you were going to use it.

My point was merely that the featured of the PN40 allow you to hold a huge amount of caches and have room left over ;-)

My point was merely that the featured of the PN40 allow you to hold a huge amount of caches and have room left over ;-)
    This is most interesting. Your saying you have all those caches or could have if you wanted to take the time to load them in, and you would be able to have all the information of the cache page available to you on the PN-40?

If thats the case, I'm going to have to consider one. Haven't used the mapping features on any of the unites yet, but that would just be gravy.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Well this is the deal Ekidokai..... Delorme's new PN-60 is being released in about two months with this capability as well, only more streamlined. However you will pay an arm and a leg for the PN-60, and really just for snazzy new graphics. You can get PN-40s now for bargain basement prices. Plus, like you said, the mapping functions are gravy, and the accuracy of the units are amazing. Anyone who has done any of my caches will tell you how good my cords are.

Now, if you get a PN-40 you will have to do the 2.7 firmware update, which is mainly meant for X-Map GIS users. However it works well for us Geocachers too. Delorme is releasing firmware 2.8 around the same time the PN-60 is released but you will have to buy it with TOPO 9.0. It will however have the capability of having attributes from cache listings on the unit as well. Right now, you have no attributes but you do have cache type, placer, description, inventory of cache, difficult, terrain and past five logs and hint and all the same logos of caches that you see on Geocaching.com

I do not have all the caches in the world on my unit.... obviously ha ha... but I have every cache in Maine on my Pn-40 organized based on overlapping areas of the state. Each area has a GPX file dedicated to it on the unit. Plus I have GPX files of my hides, my disabled caches, my archived caches, I even have GPX files set up based on specific cache owners, and you can take and do a Google Maps route in Geocaching.com and a PQ based on it and save it onto the unit. It is pretty much unlimited. Plus, you can modify them as you go. So say you add a waypoint or change one, you can save it, and then move to another GPX file, or you can export the GPX file to your laptop mapping software. Mind you, I also have all the caches in Maine on my netbook which I couple to an LT-40 and either TOPO 8.0 or StreetAtlas and can see my surrounding caches on the larger screen as I navigate.

So.... based on this.... I'd have to say that the PN-40 is the unit to use for holding all those caches, as long as you have the proper firmware update.

Very nice. How much are the fireware updates? Can the PN-40 do whereigo caches?

Well the firmware updates are free, EXCEPT the new 2.8 one for the PN-40 is only available apparently if you purchase or upgrade your TOPO to 9.0.

Nope, no Whereigo on PN-40.... but really, why would you care? If Whereigo is the deal breaker, then oh well, you are missing out on a great unit on a cache type that has only two in all of Maine, and one of them I can show you the final location if you like ha ha

Not a deal breaker just would have been the deal maker.