vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wondering

Well, that's still too bad....

I have never heard of having to pay for a firmware update for a GPS. That type of attitude from DeLorme is one of the reasons why I use a different brand.

Tried it, like some of it, disliked some of it.

I do like the easy user interface that my current GPS has!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    I do like the easy user interface that my current GPS has!

Magellan?

That maybe so Gob-ler however this thread was discussing the ability of a GPS to hold countless waypoints and caches, and the only one I know of with that capability if the PN-40 with the 2.7 firmware update. As I explained, it has the ability to hold every cache in the world and STILL have excessive amounts of room left over for maps and color imagery which is way better than any you will see on your Oregon sir...

I like the new Garmin nüvi® 3790T

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...=63940&ra=true
    Moo

Um, Cano..... the only time this Garmin nüvi® 3790T would be useful for a Geocacher would be if some nut job (say Ekidokai ... ha ha) decided to move to Los Angeles and put out a Stud Mill series there...... this is not for cachers.... who in their right mind would bring this out of the car? It isn't even waterproof.

Some of the Nuvi's are geocaching friendly. While they may not be waterproof, many caches even in this state are nowhere near water. Lately we have been limited to less physical caches and instead of loading the caches on my PDA (Which is also not waterproof), I have just been taking the Nuvi with me so I have access to the logs and hints if needed. I still use my 'Ol Yeller to find the cache, though. A lot of people cache with their cell phones as well, most likely not waterproof either. I also nearly always carry a digital camera with me, also not waterproof.

I'm not saying it would not be nice to have all the best stuff and have it built for the outdoors, but I think for most that is not the case. It's not a matter of being in their right minds, it's a matter of wanting to play the game with what you can afford and/or want to play it with. I chose to risk a $120 GPSr to cache, others chose to risk a $220 ticket.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-22-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Oh quite to the contrary Chad, the Oregon does imagery now and it also holds a whole bunch of caches and information without having to go through all the key punching you have to do with the PN-40. Actually the work flow or key punching processes on the PN-40 were a bit of a turn off for me. The Oregon has that part of it to the better hands down or fingers down as the case may be.

As to your "sir" reference, was that a comment of respect for my person or just a touch of sarcasm?

It is a case of to each his own. Plus and minus - most GPS's have them and that includes the ones you own as well as the ones I own. Fact is they will get you there.

Now for all those caches in the world, I wonder if GC.Com has any plans to make that pocket query available to premium members and above?

There was a time in the not to distant past, actually a little over a year ago when I needed less than one thousand to have them all in the State of Maine, but that has certainly changed in the recent times.

See you all in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    There was a time in the not to distant past, actually a little over a year ago when I needed less than one thousand to have them all in the State of Maine, but that has certainly changed in the recent times.

See you all in a couple of weeks.
    I bragged for a long time in national chat that I could have all my unfound Maine caches in one 500 cache PQ - toward the end of 2004 (oddly enough, about the time all the puppies came ).

A few weeks? The 10 year events?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Ah, the puppies, almost the good old days! Actually one of my puppies is my most visited cache and it is actually a good one.

I may not make the ten year events, but there is an event in Lewiston. That is if the turkeys do not take me hostage!