vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Many TB's Missing Recently

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    huh, I've never noticed that feature before. I too would feel a bit odd marking the coin as missing, but after 6 months... I dunno, I've had TB's resurface after a year of being gone...
    That is fine. When it resurfaces the owner of the coin or whatever can change the coin page. I don't go to caches because they have trackables, but when I log the find it bugs me that I drop good swag in and most of the time would have swapped trackables if there was any in there.

I just wish there wasn't a need to watch a cache like a hawk or set something special up to catch these people.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTogether View Post
    Its easier than trying to find a TB graveyard, and if it shows up in the future, it can still be logged back into the game by anyone with the code.
    As I remember - and it's hard at my age - there used to be a TB graveyard at the point where the prime meridian intersects the equator. I remember it because my son passed near the spot a couple of years ago when he was with the Africa Partnership Station. On return, they passed this point because it gave the sailors the designation of being an "Emerald Shellback".

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTogether View Post
    I have used it mark my own coins missing after prolonged periods in the same cache. Especially after multiple logs mentioning no trackables in the cache.

Its easier than trying to find a TB graveyard, and if it shows up in the future, it can still be logged back into the game by anyone with the code.
    where are you guys finding these options? I'm looking but not seeing...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Go to your cache page. Go to a trackable that is supposed to be in there. On the right where you would click to add a note, in that box is a selection option and one says missing. Choosing that will remove it from your cache.

This is what they will get.
    [This is an automated message]
    This is a message to let you know that your trackable item TB2JF5D has been marked ‘missing’ by a cache owner or a site administrator. Trackable items are marked missing when it is determined that they are no longer located in the cache they are listed in or in the hands of the current holder. Please review the most recent logs on your trackable item to learn more information about its current state.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 04-19-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Go to your cache page. Go to a trackable that is supposed to be in there. On the right where you would click to add a note, in that box is a selection option and one says missing. Choosing that will remove it from your cache.

This is what they will get.
    [This is an automated message]
    This is a message to let you know that your trackable item TB2JF5D has been marked ‘missing’ by a cache owner or a site administrator. Trackable items are marked missing when it is determined that they are no longer located in the cache they are listed in or in the hands of the current holder. Please review the most recent logs on your trackable item to learn more information about its current state.

ahh! i was looking on the cache page and edit page, didnt think of looking at the tb page... duh...

it all makes sense now
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

It's all new until you do it.

Very good to know. Thanks again Ekidokai

Random thoughts . . .

I've never paid very close attention to the trackables in my cache . . . I figure if the TB owner has a question about whether or not a TB is in the cache or MIA he/she can easily contact me and I would be more than happy to check the cache for them. I have way too many things to do in life beside keeping a running inventory on what is in the cache . . . and for whatever reason I don't feel right in altering the TB status if I don't know for sure if someone has it or not since I know I've occasionally grabbed a TB and held on to it for several weeks (albeit I also had logged the TB out.)

TBs and geocoins . . . it's getting to the point for me where I almost don't want to grab one of these and move it along . . . too much hassle . . . and too much of a chance to be called a thief . . . granted I have never been labeled as such (to my knowledge), but then again I also try to do the right thing and record the finding and dropping of the trackable and try to move them on relatively quickly.

TBs and geocoins: I never could quite understand the fascination with geocoins and now pathtags . . . or collecting them. I guess my own belief is that with any trackable you send out in the world you risk losing them . . . which is why nothing has been sent out by me that has had much value . . . monetary or sentimental value.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Smile Could This Be The Answer?

While caching in Wells Maine I ran across a rather unusual Goocoin. This Geocoin has traveled over 10,428 miles without going missing because someone wanted it for their own collection. Why has this coin lasted so long without going missing? Because the owner took a picture of it and laminated into a 3 inch by 4 inch card with the tracking number on it. The owner stated on the Geocoin home page that they have the original and everyone should move the copy. You can view this coins home page on Geocaching.com, Trackable Items, # TBRHHB. I would like to get everyone’s opinion on this practice. Do you think it’s a good idea? Can you see something wrong with it? I think I can see one problem with doing this. What if a copy does go missing and the owner starts a NEW copy and sends it out and the OLD copy shows up down the road. Would that mess up Geocaching.com trying to keep track of 2 different coins with the same number? Would it be OK to do if you ONLY sent out ONE copy and if it goes missing, just keep the original for a souvenir and log it as Missing in action? What do YOU think!
    Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience.
    Click here to see my album, "Pictures Don't Lie!"

Default This works sometime

I have had fair success reviewing logs and trying to narrow down the "suspect" that might have the coin and perhaps failed to log it. Some new cachers don't understand how to log a TB and just sit quietly hoping nobody will notice.

On a couple of occassions I have written with a polite inquiry and found that to be the case. On a few occassions the evidence was clear where the coin went, a note was sent and there was no response even though I could see the cacher had visited geo.com therefore received my note. A little more "assertive" note followed and suddenly the cacher's memory came back and the coin was properly logged. I hate confronting people in this manner but I've had decent success locating missing coins and TB's. The McCain Palin geocoin in one of my Power Ranger caches is missing, I've sent a note and have not received a response but I'm not done chasing that coin down as I'm fairly certain I'm hot on the tail of that coin. (Bruce, I'm sure you'll like that anology!)

But alas, I put out few coins now but have plenty to share with geo buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by rcwhit View Post
    While caching in Wells Maine I ran across a rather unusual Goocoin. This Geocoin has traveled over 10,428 miles without going missing because someone wanted it for their own collection. Why has this coin lasted so long without going missing? Because the owner took a picture of it and laminated into a 3 inch by 4 inch card with the tracking number on it. The owner stated on the Geocoin home page that they have the original and everyone should move the copy. You can view this coins home page on Geocaching.com, Trackable Items, # TBRHHB. I would like to get everyone’s opinion on this practice. Do you think it’s a good idea? Can you see something wrong with it? I think I can see one problem with doing this. What if a copy does go missing and the owner starts a NEW copy and sends it out and the OLD copy shows up down the road. Would that mess up Geocaching.com trying to keep track of 2 different coins with the same number? Would it be OK to do if you ONLY sent out ONE copy and if it goes missing, just keep the original for a souvenir and log it as Missing in action? What do YOU think!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.