vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help please. Maine Delorme challenge

Question Help please. Maine Delorme challenge

Well, I would like to do the Maine Delorme challenge. But I do not know how to start. Do I just use Geocache.com search engine and find a cache in every grid of the Delorme and then go find those? and in the end do I notify someone that I did them?

I tired the search engine but I have found no real answers.

hopefully someone can help me figure this out and explain simply how to do it and start it. thanks for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by mouse179 View Post
    Well, I would like to do the Maine Delorme challenge. But I do not know how to start. Do I just use Geocache.com search engine and find a cache in every grid of the Delorme and then go find those? and in the end do I notify someone that I did them?

I tired the search engine but I have found no real answers.

hopefully someone can help me figure this out and explain simply how to do it and start it. thanks for all your help
    Yes. To complete the challenge you must find(or place) at least one cache that would be a representative of each and every Delorme map that would comprise the state. Then after you have done that, then you are welcome to log the "final" cache that would signify that you met all the requirements.

If you don't use mapping software then the I guess one would have to go to each map, select an area and do a search for a cache that would be there. If you are using mapping software there are several other ways to find out which caches are located in each map.

Hope this helps.

Cache on!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Default Mapping Software

Here's something I need to learn. Which mapping software do you use and how does it work? I am now only lacking 6 grids, did it all manually! Guess it's time to add this to the arsenal of techno-stuff we use to cache. ( I'm guessing there will be a few who wonder why I don't have this but I'm ready to learn!)
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mouse179 View Post
    Not sure if you've been there before, so here's a link to the Maine Delorme Challenge cache site.

I used and marked the actual DeLorme Gazeteer and photocopied the back cover, crossing off maps as I went.

Also Brdad has an excellent KML file that you can download and then use a PQ or Queries to find the ones that you need to fulfill the grid maps. Wished I had it handy but can't seem to find it right now.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I think there are a few versions of my kml file in this thread. I should organize some of this stuff in an article - I was hoping someone else would!

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I agree that photocopying the back cover of the Delorme is an easy way to keep track of which squares you have done. I highlight the completed ones...although alas there isn't that many highlighted...I think I am at 17 squares at the moment. I have a little competition going with another cacher to see who has the most squares done. No clue when I will actually complete the challenge but its fun to mark another square.

Lightbulb Garmin\Mapsource

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Not sure if you've been there before, so here's a link to the Maine Delorme Challenge cache site.
    Let's make this as easy as it should be. If you have a Garmin and use Mapsource I will share with you the "tracks" that make up the official map outlines for the grids. I am using a 2005 edition. This is in the rules and is referred to in #5.

As a reminder to add your bookmark on the cache page, as this will grandfather you in the number of maps that you will have to find. This past year I opened up a map in Northern Maine. And I will probably do the same to another "easy" to find map in Western Maine next year.

If you are not a premium member than email me through my profile and let me know you have started, and I will grandfather you.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

how and what is book marking on the cache page.

and I have a garmin etrek legend, will this work with mapsource? and if so where do you get mapsource, I have google earth not sure if that will help or not. I pretty new to this I just managed to start very simple paperless caching.

thanks for the overwehlming help and suport.