vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Closing a thread

Default Closing a thread

Nice to see that option used to close an out of hand "discussion." Very early on in my caching career and participation on this site, I learned to pause before hitting the "send" button, something others should try.

So do your fellow cachers a favor and "close a thread" that gets out of hand. The moderators should not have to be caught in the crossfire. We can self-police ourselves if we need to.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Well said.

Thanks, Dan, for reminding everyone of that option as a thread originator.

And it is a good idea to pause before posting and consider how something might be taken by other members.

I'd much rather thread originators watch their own threads and posters police themselves. However, if you start a thread and really really want it to stay on topic please specify so and I will be more at ease of dealing with the off topic posts.

I also recommend if someone posts something you find offensive, feel free to report the post instead of retaliating by posting something that will escalate the issue.

I now refer everyone to the classic posting 101 video....

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Unfortunately the thread was closed before I could give a thumbs up to Mainiac1957's post.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Agreed. I just got caught up on that post and am thoroughly impressed by the way it was handled!

Please feel free to send any constructive criticism my way via PM as well regarding moderation. Looking over a few of the recent threads, it may have helped some if I replied to the involved parties via PM instead of in the thread, which also seemed to add fuel to the fire. I'd rather be called names in private than promote polluting the forum.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-26-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Apparently, dissension in the ranks here will not be tolerated. I really thought ( wrongly I guess ) that this was an open forum for people to discuss various topics concerning Geocaching. Why is everyone here so terrified of disagreement and a bit of a heated discussion? Are you all that accustomed to people laying down and taking it when they are confronted or attacked? That just isn't me, and many of my caching friends, some of whom do frequent this forum and some who don't can confirm that. Closing a thread is a weak response. If you truly think I am wrong in what I am saying, then confront me on it, instead of stifling discussion. Usually people will avoid or end a discussion when they know they themselves are wrong or have been proven to not know what the heck they are talking about. Embarrassing....

"Usually people will avoid or end a discussion when they know they themselves are wrong or have been proven to not know what the heck they are talking about. Embarrassing.... "

Oh really? I often find myself not choosing to respond to some of these posts because I find the writer to have a chip on his shoulder the size of a cinder block. Or sometimes the maturity of a 12 year old hiding in an adult's body. But I openly admit that I have no idea what prompted this thread to begin with so I'll politely bow out until I can figure out what happened by reading future posts.

The thread was closed by my wife because it was way off topic and she didn't want to deal with it. She closed the thread. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    The thread was closed by my wife because it was way off topic and she didn't want to deal with it. She closed the thread. End of story.
    If it's the end of the story, why are we still talking about it!
    P.S. I for one think she did good in doing so, but don't tell her I said so.
    Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience.
    Click here to see my album, "Pictures Don't Lie!"