vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs advice

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Ok, Dan - let's stay on topic.

I think FFJ's article "Starting out as a "newbie" . . . aka "The Mistakes I First Made" is recommended reading!
    I send a welcome message to all new members, and I include a link to this article in my message. The message goes out at the same time I validate a new member, so "avongirl2" has it.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Wow, what a nice bunch of helpful and enthusiastic cachers. So helpful, so enthusiastic. Hmmmmmm, what's this "Closed Thread" stuff all about? Dissension in the ranks? What ranks? Who's in charge here? Hiram 357...are there gun nuts on this site? That mapachi guy looks a little strange. Did he have some type of surgery go wrong? What makes Evil Homer "evil? And the guy that wants to know if I'm lost too? No I'm not lost but this is a confusing place.

You're not in Kansas any more, Dorothy!
    Gun nuts! I foresee a new thread soon.... carrying while caching! My kind of cachers!

Thank you! You all do a great job of welcoming new people into the hobby! Can't wait to look for some more caches!

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Gun nuts! I foresee a new thread soon.... carrying while caching! My kind of cachers!
    Perfect! The thread already exists, feel free to add your supporting comments: Cache and Carry
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Nice.... thanks Brdad....

Hi and welcome to the site/addiction!!

Everyone has already said pretty everything I know about GPSr accuracy (and more! Brdad's explanation of what "X feet accuracy" was totally new to me.), but I do want to add one thing. We use a Garmin Nuvi for caching, which is meant for cars. We have found that a lot of times just looking around for something suspicious helps as much as the GPSr does. I usually play with the map and coordinates while my husband looks around for things like a strange pile of sticks or leaves, a unique looking log, etc. and he usually finds the cache before I do. Pretty soon you will start to notice these things and they will help compensate for any inaccuracies in your GPS.

Anyway, have fun! And if you are free this weekend, there are events going on in Brewer, Waterville, Portland and Augusta. You'll meet tons of people willing to talk about all sorts of caching related stuff!

OK, now all the crack pots have put their nonsense in I'll give you the facts. You can trust me, I'm not like the others. I'm the only normal one here.

First off I have the exact unit you have and I love it. I may also be the only one with a degree in electronics. I can't work these things but I do know how the components operate.

I have been looking into that exact question because mine was doing the same thing yesterday. I'm finding out that the satellites and waas are getting old and some times are not as accurate as they could be, especially if upgrades or adjustments are being made which is the case I suspect yesterday. The response time on the display on these unites is too fast. While slowly walking along as we do when we get close you will see the arrow jump around. Just think about it, could the hiding place have moved or you been that far off? No. It is the unit picking up a stray signal or interference and displaying it.

When you get to within about 100 feet keep going in the general direction it was pointing you to and don't suddenly change direction when the arrow points in another direction. Most times it will come back unless you are really moving fast. Kind of average it yourself. Eventually it will start bringing you close to the cache.

Another thing I like about the unit is the map feature. When you get real close 30 feet or so you can switch it to map and zoom in. that will get you a little closer. Just remember when it jumps that doesn't mean you have to. A slow observant approach will help you.

I have never seen anyway to calibrate or the need to on this unit. That's not a component thing.

These have to be very accurate. I put out a whole bunch of caches the day after I bought it and didn't use the average feature, which is a hoax by the way, and the coordinates where right on.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 04-27-2010 at 09:48 PM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Ok, Dan - let's stay on topic.

I think FFJ's article "Starting out as a "newbie" . . . aka "The Mistakes I First Made" is recommended reading!
    HehHeh . . . I think I have the on-set of early Alzheimers . . . I forgot that I wrote that article . . . in fact I read it and found myself thinking "You know, this guy is a pretty good . . . he thinks a lot like me." I even found myself laughing at some of my own jokes . . . I think I'm doomed.

In any case, I found the article pretty interesting . . . funny in places, informative . . . some information could be updated . . . such as mentioning the "new kid on the block" -- the DeLorme units as well as the Magellan and Garmin. Also, I don't know if it's fair to say that there is a dearth of caches in the North Maine woods . . .

I forgot all about my tumble and bleeding cuts in the Nevada desert until I re-read this article . . . brought back some memories.

Thanks for posting this . . . by the way, have I written anything else that is comparable to this that I have forgotten about . . . no, seriously . . . I don't remember.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Huh . . . this article takes on a whole new meaning after a few years and a few changes in life.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."