vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS newbie

Default GPS newbie

So, I'm using a Garmin Nuvi right now... for a car... is this a big mistake? Because after one day searching for 4 caches and no finds I'm hooked and will be replacing the Garmin with another less expensive GPS navigator for a vehicle, as the Garmin is a loaner.

And where do I get new coords on this site?

Welcome to the addiction and to the site!

People can and do find caches using a Nuvi. A hand held GPSr makes the experience easier. Depending on which caches you attempted to find, you may want to try something with a lower difficulty. We might be able to help you a bit more if you tell us which caches you attempted to find.

There are no coordinate listings for caches on this site. You must get those at geocaching.com.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-14-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The one I looked hardest for was Cookie Monster in Gardiner.. by the bakery, it says its right behind the road sign but its not

And I guess I need help with geocache lingo too.. what are muggles?? Spoilers??

I have not done that one, but it sounds like it could be very small or concealed well. some caches are not much bigger than the tip of an eraser, and some are very thing, like 1/16" thin.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-14-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Muggle – A non-geocacher (taken from the Harry Potter series of books). Also “GeoMuggle”.

Spoiler – An on-line log entry (or photo attached to an on-line log) that may give away the location of a cache, or in some other way “spoil” the caching experience for others.

On the main page of this site on the left side is a section titles Articles. There is some good information in there for new cachers, including an article named Geojargon which is a glossary of a lot of the words and acronyms you will find and use while caching.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ead.php?t=3174
    Last edited by brdad; 05-14-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by mmitchell_mvra View Post
    The one I looked hardest for was Cookie Monster in Gardiner.. by the bakery, it says its right behind the road sign but its not
    I have not done that cache in quite sometime but it is behind the sign
    maybe not the behind that you are thinking of. I will also tell you that it is a film canister and you will need a gerber,leatherman or something like them to get it out of its hiding spot. Good luck and welcome to the addiction. There are some fine caches in Gardiner to start with.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Gadzooks, another one comes along. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Come to the events and are you will get one on one help.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Hi! Welcome to the site and addiction I have found that if you switch your Nuvi to Pedestrian (Tools -> Settings -> System) and Off Road (Tools -> Settings -> Navigation) that tends to help. Also, the Where Am I? feature (Tools -> Where Am I?) helps a lot because it shows you your current coordinates, so you can figure out which way to go to make the numbers go up/down as needed.