vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs advice

Okay, time for my views on this GPS accuracy and such....

.... Groundspeak expects Geocaching to be a game played using technology and PRECISE GPS cords to locate a cache. Of course, no GPS will walk you directly to a cache and find it for you.... however if you know how to utilize your GPSr correctly, regardless of the type of GPSr (at least for more contemporary ones with the High Sensitivity receivers of the last few years in them) you can place a cache and have accurate enough cords to walk a cacher within 7-10 feet of it which is much better than getting you within 60 feet and having to just search and search and search aimlessly. 95% of my caches have very precise cords, as the cachers who have found them can and will attest to. I pride myself on my cords. But we all know that there are cache placers out there who have terrible cords, which happens either by accident or on purpose to make it more difficult on finders. This has been happening in my area recently with a certain cacher who's cords seem to be off by between 60 and 150 feet everytime I look for his caches. He has actually stopped placing caches because of the complaints from other cachers. There is no excuse for bad cords. Tree cover? Bad weather? It can all be remedied by lots of averaging and testing of your cords.

To post a cache with intentionally wrong coords is not good for the sport IMO. There are many reasons hiders mistakenly post the wrong coords. Every so often someone will come into national chat asking about this and almost all the time and if their coords are consistently off in the E-W but the N-S is close - they have the wrong datum set in the GPSr. Other times people make mistakes and just type the wrong numbers in. And before Hiram speaks up, sometimes hiders goof and post the final coords as stage 1 coords... The funniest part of that is he failed to find an ammo box while looking for a micro!

The thing is, even if the hider used a Trimble GeoXH which has accuracy in inches, the finder has one shot at getting a decent reading and can be quite a ways off If the satellites are not just right. I feel good about the coords for my caches as well, because I have visited and re-visited them and still usually check them when I maintain them. Most of the time I am fairly close, but some days I wonder how anyone finds the darn thing! I l always welcome any input on my coords and have edited a few accordingly. And sometimes, like my Old470 cache, if you are standing next to the train where the cache is, the coords are off quite a bit. But if you walk 30 feet away, it points right to it.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-28-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

"To post a cache with intentionally wrong coords is not good for the sport IMO."

Or you can transpose a couple numbers when publishing a cache and send everybody several miles away. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    "To post a cache with intentionally wrong coords is not good for the sport IMO."

Or you can transpose a couple numbers when publishing a cache and send everybody several miles away. LOL
    I actually have done that ha ha.... just ask TeamHorwich about his FTF run for one of these which was my fault last winter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I actually have done that ha ha.... just ask TeamHorwich about his FTF run for one of these which was my fault last winter!!!
    I also spent hours in a swamp during last winter in 2 meter snow on FTF run thanks to EMSDanel.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I also spent hours in a swamp during last winter in 2 meter snow on FTF run thanks to EMSDanel.
    What's with you Czech and Slovokian cachers? WhenEVER I go caching with Marcipanek (Czech) we end up in a swamp, taking a "short cut" based on the reasoning of him and his Garmin Colorado. The PN-40 never takes me into swamps...

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Humm - I have never had a problem with EMSDanel's coords. I know he averages and is meticulous about trying to ensure coords are correct.

He placed 5 caches, at the most in winter 2009 - 2010 year, I would call winter caches. 3 in November which were all easy finds and not far from parking and 2 in February both of which I did on my lunch hour from work with dress clothes on........I am a bit confused about this......... Perhaps it was winter 2008 - 2009? And - if coords were off I am sure it was not intentional.

I am glad I am not the only one to mix up the coordinates and send people to Timbuktu. LOL The good thing was that Tandemstoker went down and placed a cache where my coordinates originally pointed to. The bad news? It's a 5 hide. <a href=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cbbcc2af-ba46-42ac-839c-8da209490fc4> Deja deja vu</a>

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post

HehHeh . . . yeah . . . been there, done that . . . ask poor TRF . . . I think he was looking for a cache a whole county away.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    HehHeh . . . yeah . . . been there, done that . . . ask poor TRF . . . I think he was looking for a cache a whole county away.
    Yeah and I was with him...lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.