vb:literal>

View Poll Results: What brand of handheld GPSr do you use for caching.

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • DeLorme

12 24.49%
  • Garmin

31 63.27%
  • Magellan

3 6.12%
  • i-phones (or other smart phones)

2 4.08%
  • Other

1 2.04%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you cache with now

Default What do you cache with now

Post in my poll as to what brand of GPSr that you are currntly using to geocache. I know many as do I use one to get there such as a Nuvi or TomTom and then a handheld to find the cache. This poll is for the handheld only. Feel free to tell what model you have in your reply. I am sorry if your particular make is lumped under other, but I wanted to keep it simple.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Post in my poll as to what brand of GPSr that you are currntly using to geocache. I know many as do I use one to get there such as a Nuvi or TomTom and then a handheld to find the cache. This poll is for the handheld only. Feel free to tell what model you have in your reply. I am sorry if your particular make is lumped under other, but I wanted to keep it simple.
    I love my Oregon. What kind of GPS do you use now Brad....?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Currently I use a Magellan Triton 400. Seems to work equally as well as my wife's Garmin Venture HC except it takes forever to boot up and then forever more to acquire the satellites. Then, in the car, it loses the satellite fix and then regains it periodically. Just picked up a Garmin Nuvi 1300 for use in the vehicle on the way to the cache location but have yet to use it, it's that new.

Still using my 10 year old 'Ol Yeller. Someday I will upgrade, but this works and I can't say as I have ever not found a cache because it wasn't good enough. Most of my DNFs were because I was not good enough! A few more bells and whistles would be nice, however, like having the cache information on the GPS.

There is a 99% chance I would stick with Garmin next time.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default 100%

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Still using my 10 year old 'Ol Yeller. Someday I will upgrade, but this works and I can't say as I have ever not found a cache because it wasn't good enough. Most of my DNFs were because I was not good enough! A few more bells and whistles would be nice, however, like having the cache information on the GPS.

There is a 99% chance I would stick with Garmin next time.
    There's a 100% chance I'm going to upgrade to a Garmin. I want to keep the ability to see more cache information that I can see now with my Triton 400 so I'll be looking at the Oregons and Colorados.

ya as soon as he gets rich ......which cache has the winning lottery ticket again??
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

My two Magellans work fine for now and for what I want them to do . . . but I must admit I do like Hiram's shiny new Oregon.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Glad to see this topic re-visited, in poll form. Thanks, Brad. I am using, still, a compass and topographic map for the area I will cache in......

Actually, I am using a Garmin GPSMap 60, without complaint. On occasion, it seems to "jump" around a little, however this is easily overcome by geo-experience. It's accuracy seems good, really good at times. I do wish it held more caches, however for my style of caching, it's fine.

In conjunction with the Garmin, I use Cacheberry on my BlackBerry for paperless caching....I really enjoy Cacheberry.....caches are easy to load individually or by GSAK. In addition, I can access GC.com as well.

I have tried smart phone caching, however, I did not like it at all and doubt I would pursue this further. And, like most others, using a Garmin Nuvi as well to get into the area. All in all, I'm happy with what I'm using but with that said, I'm ready to go up to an Oregon, mostly for the ability to hold a larger number of caches and the fact that it's paperless.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I love my Garmin e-Trex Vista HCX. The Oregon's only feature I'm interested in is having the cache desription on the unit. I solve that problem by bringing my Nuvi with me in my pocket.

Default Link

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I love my Garmin e-Trex Vista HCX. The Oregon's only feature I'm interested in is having the cache desription on the unit. I solve that problem by bringing my Nuvi with me in my pocket.
    Is there a link that has a macro for the Nuvi 1300? The link Ekodoki posted doesn't seem to address the 1300 - the pulldown menu lists 2xx, 3xx, 4xx and so on but never touches on the 1300. I've managed to figure out how to load caches as POI's but they don't have all the information about the cache.