vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Cache logs

Default RE: Cache logs

This was brought up as an aside in another thread . . . just thought I would bring it up again . . . guess I was a bit discouraged this morning when going through my found caches for this past weekend and found a cut and paste job . . .

"Easy find, signed log, took nothing, left Travel bug, TFTC" on one cache.

"Easy find, signed log, pretty funny cache, took nothing, left foreign. . ."

Not exactly a cut and paste job, but on the other hand no mention really of the history of the one cache, scenic location, etc.

And then on a Bangor cache . . . a scant "TFTC."

Kind of disappointing . . . I mean I realize not everyone is a writer . . . not everyone is verbose . . . and not everyone feels compelled to write a lot about the area, search, etc. . . . but when you get a bunch of logs like these it is kind of discouraging since it almost seems as though the person didn't even see the beauty around them.

But then to balance things out a bit I get a log from a new cacher on what is probably my least scenic cache in downtown Unity . . .

"Found by Tinisman - nice place on Saturday afternoon - only had one person use the bank drive thru. A little tough to find. Nice job. Thanks for your efforts around Unity and the surrounding towns. I am new to this...
    Found by Tinisman - nice place on Saturday afternoon - only had one person use the bank drive thru. A little tough to find. Nice job. Thanks for your efforts around Unity and the surrounding towns. I am new to this..."

And truth be told . . . in looking at most logs it seems that that are far more "good" logs than the generic cut-and-paste ones.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Our logs reflect the cache.

A GRC film can usually gets a cut-and-paste "TNLNSL TFTC".

An ammo can with interesting swag in a scenic location usually will get a paragraph.

Caches in between these extremes get a commensurate log entry.

this last weekend Kev and I did 28 caches on sunday and I think 6 or 7 on Saturday......we got home so late on Sunday that we didnt log the finds till Monday evening when he got home from work...*we cache together we log together* hehe

But those 28 caches took us like 2 and 1/2 hours to log. We try to find some little thing, even on the most "why did they put a cache here" type of cache, to say about either the cache or our day out or SOMETHING. I guess we dont do to badly as we have had several people mention they enjoy reading them and to be honest that makes it worth the 2 or 3 hours of log time to us..

dont you think, and this is just my opinion, that as people try to do more and more caches in a day...when it becomes about the numbers both for placeing and finding.....that they tend to do the cut and paste or the quick logs simply because they have SO many to do that it becomes a chore. I mean it isnt that way for us ...mostly because Sunday was the most we have done in a day but also because it isnt about numbers to kev and I .....but it is for alot of people it seems from reading logs and from some of the things said here on this forum.

I guess for us when we read logs posted on our caches ...yes i love a detailed log that entertains me or mentions the work we put in on preparing or placing our caches , but it they found it and had a good time doing it that is REALLY why we put it there. For the fun of it.

We like this game/sport and do it the way we do it for us. IT'S FUN ....When it isnt FUN we wont do it anymore...

Hope this makes sence LOL

Happy Caching All
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    this last weekend Kev and I did 28 caches on sunday and I think 6 or 7 on Saturday......we got home so late on Sunday that we didnt log the finds till Monday evening when he got home from work...*we cache together we log together* hehe

But those 28 caches took us like 2 and 1/2 hours to log. I hear ya . . . try logging over 100 . . . it takes a while . . . after a while it can almost feel like work! We try to find some little thing, even on the most "why did they put a cache here" type of cache, to say about either the cache or our day out or SOMETHING. I agree . . . and even those GRCs can have a redeeming quality . . . when they're placed in a location that offers a scenic view or offers something that is a bit of a challenge -- I'm thinking of a certain cache in Liberty that I did recently that had both a good view of a pond and a twist on the cache container . . . another that Cache Maine put out that offered a great view of Penobscot Bay that I never would have seen if I was whizzing by at 55 mph . . . and another where you had to search through half a bazillion film containers all strung together to find the cache and then . . . well for those that have not found it I won't spoil the hide. I guess we dont do to badly as we have had several people mention they enjoy reading them and to be honest that makes it worth the 2 or 3 hours of log time to us. Again . . . I agree . . . for a cache hider the main thrill and impetus in hiding a cache for me is to read the logs where people tell you how much they enjoyed the history, the view, the clever hide, etc.

dont you think, and this is just my opinion, that as people try to do more and more caches in a day...when it becomes about the numbers both for placeing and finding.....that they tend to do the cut and paste or the quick logs simply because they have SO many to do that it becomes a chore. I mean it isnt that way for us ...mostly because Sunday was the most we have done in a day but also because it isnt about numbers to kev and I .....but it is for alot of people it seems from reading logs and from some of the things said here on this forum. I think you're right . . . it's a time commitment issue . . . plus after doing a whole lot of caches if you haven't actually jotted down a note or two you tend to forget which cache was which . . .

I guess for us when we read logs posted on our caches ...yes i love a detailed log that entertains me or mentions the work we put in on preparing or placing our caches , but it they found it and had a good time doing it that is REALLY why we put it there. For the fun of it.

We like this game/sport and do it the way we do it for us. IT'S FUN ....When it isnt FUN we wont do it anymore...

Hope this makes sence LOL Makes sense to me . . . sounds like you're my kind of cachers . . . make sure you come to the Unity area some day . . . it's worth it just for the pizza . . . and the chance to see the Amish . . . plus I hear there are a few caches in the area.

Happy Caching All
    See notes above.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Unity....for pizza, Amish and caches? Humm sounds like good time to me! hehe
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

but wait...will i find one of these FAMOUS ladders in a cache in unity??? LOL

I think log lengths are dependent upon factors from both sides - the cacher and the cache.

On the cacher side, some people can ramble on for an hour and somehow connect their great grandmother who died climbing Mount Everest to an LPC behind the Goodwill Store. Others could do a cache on Everest and only have the writing ability to make a few short sentences. Others have to be inspired to write anything lengthy. Myself, I am a combination of those last two. I think I am a decent writer, but if a cache doesn't set that spark off, I have to struggle to find words - sometimes I know the cache is worthy of more, it just does not come to me. On the flip side, if a cache does nothing for me other than up my numbers by one, I have been known to log just a smiley - It's not meant to be mean, to me it is one of those 'picture is worth a thousand words' things. My log stats:
    Total Words: 76036, Average: 50, (Total Characters: 387783) Longest: 603, Shortest: 1

On the cache side, if the cache does not trigger some sort of reaction , it will most likely produce shorter logs. Obviously the longer you are at a cache for reasons of length of time to get there, length of time to find it, preparation, or just wanting to take in the views, etc., the more likely it will trigger the desire to write more. I was just looking at the stats on the logs of my 6 cache hides yesterday and think they are numbers to be proud of:
    Log Length, words: Average: 56, Longest: GCB688 460
    Edit: Funny, the stats does not give me the shortest log on my caches.... I know Battlship has one short one: " Sighted Sub, Sank Same. 04/03/2003 1220".

I also agree with JustPJ66 - the more we do the less likely we are to write lengthy logs. And when that number reaches a certain point which varies for each of us, all the caches seem to meld together so when the time comes to write a log there is nothing to remember about any individual cache. For me, cache names have an effect on that as well. Dalmatians, Playing cards, Automobiles - all these series cache names - makes it hard for me to remember any of the individual caches because the names get mulled together. heck, I have to spot and think which cache is which when discussing my 'Halfmile' and 'Mile from a Halfmile' caches.

I still do not think you can determine the quality of a cache from the length of the logs, nor can it determine how much fun you'll have at any cache. But they can tell a lot about a cache. If you look at the logs and divide the comments which talk about the finder's day (numbers/weather/friends) from those specific to the cache it can help determine what features of the cache the finder enjoyed and possibly what parts of it could be improved upon in your next hide.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-20-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Our log stats:
    Total Words: 15549, Average: 51, (Total Characters: 81261) Longest: 774, Shortest: 3

I agree with Brdad, though, that you can't always judge the quality of the cache by log length. There have been some caches where we didn't write a huge amount but were most definitely our favorites. For example, our log for GC214B7 was 42 words (43 if you count the smilie face ), so it was a bit under our average, but if you read the log you'll see that we highly recommend it. That's the only example I can think of off hand but I know there must be many.

Default Golden Rule for me

I confess to thoroughly enjoying logs that suggest the finder had a great day, enjoyed the cache or the company and note an appreciation for the effort of the hide.

On the other side of the coin, it's no secret that I think cut and paste can be downright disrespectful of a cache that obviously took some effort to design and place. But I agree with Bruce, the nano in the sign in the middle of nowhere with nothing else interesting at the site, well that gets a "thank you", I think all caches should at least get that polite tip of the hat, but maybe not a lot more.

To those that are concerned with numbers only why not just admit it when you log. How about:" I geocache for the numbers only. I have no imagination therefore no opinion about this cache. I'm making this serial log from my Blackberry. TFTC."

My guess is the people with the 4 letter logs are too self-absorbed to follow this site so probably I'm wasting my time beating this to death.

But for those of you who take the time to make a nice comment or two, TFYL! (Thanks for your log!)
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Average: 11, Longest: 304, Shortest: 1

You better start placing more interesting caches if you want something longer from me :P
    Moo