vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000 cache PQs are here

Default 1000 cache PQs are here

But there are some details to consider before jumping in:

* If you change nothing about the way you use PQs you will not be affected by this change
    * PQs requesting between 501-1000 caches will be available as a file download only, although we will still notify you by email when it is ready
    * PQs with less than 501 caches will be emailed as attachments and available as a file download
    * PQs will remain available for download a maximum of 7 days from the date it was generated
    * My Finds PQs are no longer sent as email attachments, but will be available as a file download

Release Notes 4/29/10, Geocaching.com Website Update
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Yup I noticed that Geocaching.com was down for some time in the last few hours... I was hoping that they were making the needed updates! Also see that the 10 years events now have special icons!

Just tried to download a newly generated PQ as directed from Groundspeak and it isn't working.... getting the old

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

LOL, I should have been more patient. I JUST finished setting up my PQs for our roadtrip to Florida.

For local caches I think I'll stick with under 500. I like being e-mailed the results weekend and using GSAK's "Get from e-mail" feature to download them. But, for planning trips away from home these bigger PQs will be pretty nice.

However, I am going to need to rethink how I get my local caches. I tried setting up PQs to get all caches within 100 miles of our apartment in Orlando... and around 2007 it started taking only 3 months for 500 caches to be hidden in that region, LOL. I'll probably have to use these big PQs just to keep myself from running out!

Default Huh?

I did a PQ that resulted in 866 caches. It went quickly to my gmail account but there's nothing there for me to download. It sends me back to the PQ page at GC.com. What do I do next to download it into my cache folder and then transfer it at GSAK?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    But there are some details to consider before jumping in:

* If you change nothing about the way you use PQs you will not be affected by this change
    * PQs requesting between 501-1000 caches will be available as a file download only, although we will still notify you by email when it is ready
    * PQs with less than 501 caches will be emailed as attachments and available as a file download
    * PQs will remain available for download a maximum of 7 days from the date it was generated
    * My Finds PQs are no longer sent as email attachments, but will be available as a file download

Release Notes 4/29/10, Geocaching.com Website Update
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I think you can click on the "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab and download the files that are in the list.

You have to be logged in in order to download the file. This will complicate automatic downloads of PQs. Lame. How typical for groundspeak. Will they ever do something right?
    Moo

Correct, the email only tells you your file is available.

I don't like this setup anymore than the next guy, but I will take it over nothing. While I don't fully understand why, I would not say they are doing it wrong. I am guessing they are taking precautions from abuse. It is hard for them to predict how we will use this new feature.

Clyde from GSAK is already (and was before this came active actually) discussing with gc.com ways to (within the terms of use) download your PQs directly from the GC server. If that happens, GSAK will be able to load the PQs directly from the site and the getmail function will not be needed.
    Last edited by brdad; 04-30-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Is it such a big problem to send URL to download the file in the email? They can also limit one download without being logged in. This should prevent sharing you data file with million other people while giving you easy access to your file. It takes 5 minutes for retarded kid to implement this changes. Let's see how long it takes for Groundspeak.
    Moo

And this is how my "1000" cache PQ of caches near Bangor in Maine looks like. LOL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geoPQ1000.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	474  
    Moo