vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuvi Caching

Default Nuvi Caching

Here's a new thread to talk about caching with a Nuvi and getting data uploaded to it so the thread not intended for Nuvi talk can be freed!

For those using GSAK, there are two macros I am aware of and one export feature to upload POI data to the Nuvi.

The export feature works ok, but it is hard or impossible (I have not verified yet) to get the cache description into the Nuvi that way.

The first macro is named garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk and instructions are available at http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html. This one seems to be limited to Nuvi 2xx/3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx/8xx or Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon.

The second macro is named GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk and instructions are available at http://sites.google.com/site/jjreds012/download. This one appears to work with newer model Nuvis.

I usually use the first macro, the second is slower and outputs a bit different. But I do have both installed and will try to help with setup if needed on either.

I will say, if you have both, pay attention to what directories you are uploading and downloading your POI files to (Each macro uses a different directory to store it's data).
    Last edited by brdad; 04-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thanks. Didn't mean to hijack a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    No problem, there are so many facets to this game it's hard to stick to one subject. I see there are a few other macros, but they do not have full cache descriptions.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default NUVI's

When we first started using the Nuvi's we wasted a lot of gas chasing back and forth in areas and not paying close enough attention as to the "driving distance" and time estimated to the next cache. For example, if you're caching on the Bailey's Island penisula, Route 24, the Nuvi might tell you the next closest cache is 1.7 miles but that cache may be on the South Harpswell Penisula, Route 123 and require 20 miles of driving! On the newer Nuvi's the distance to cache and driving miles are displayed as soon as you call up a cache just to the left of the "more" button. Paying attention to this will save you gas and time.

Also watch the directional arrows if you display a bunch of caches on the screen. The power trail caches will give you a good example. Sometimes going to the caches closest to you as the crow flies will result in going back and forth.

Lastly, there probably could be a whole thread just dedicated to caches that a Nuvi just won't get you to, like any cache located right next to the Interstate. Last weekend we did Wallamatogus Cache, GC1ZRGN on the Castine Penisula, one we've called a top 10 fovorite for us. The Nuvi would never get you anywhere near the starting point. (Should you do this one and you should because of the scenic vistas from the top) then use Parmacheenee's details as to how to get to a good starting point.

Like other tools, the Nuvi is very useful as is the export macro, but it's by no means perfect. Sometimes using the topo map when viewing the map of the cache on GC.com will show you a trail or best way to access a cache.

Anybody know how to delete a single cache from the Nuvi after you've found it?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post

The NUVI handles caches as a Custom Point of Interest file. Your normal points of interest in a GPS are not designed to be deleted once you visit them. The POI for a restaurant stays in your GPS for the next time you want to go.

The Custom POIs are a single file, so no help there. Perhaps Garmin can create an overide so that you can tell it to ignore POI's on a case by case basis? That way as you find them, you could hit the ignore button and they would not show up anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    When we first started using the Nuvi's we wasted a lot of gas chasing back and forth in areas and not paying close enough attention as to the "driving distance" and time estimated to the next cache. For example, if you're caching on the Bailey's Island penisula, Route 24, the Nuvi might tell you the next closest cache is 1.7 miles but that cache may be on the South Harpswell Penisula, Route 123 and require 20 miles of driving! On the newer Nuvi's the distance to cache and driving miles are displayed as soon as you call up a cache just to the left of the "more" button. Paying attention to this will save you gas and time.

Also watch the directional arrows if you display a bunch of caches on the screen. The power trail caches will give you a good example. Sometimes going to the caches closest to you as the crow flies will result in going back and forth.

Lastly, there probably could be a whole thread just dedicated to caches that a Nuvi just won't get you to, like any cache located right next to the Interstate. Last weekend we did Wallamatogus Cache, GC1ZRGN on the Castine Penisula, one we've called a top 10 fovorite for us. The Nuvi would never get you anywhere near the starting point. (Should you do this one and you should because of the scenic vistas from the top) then use Parmacheenee's details as to how to get to a good starting point.

Like other tools, the Nuvi is very useful as is the export macro, but it's by no means perfect. Sometimes using the topo map when viewing the map of the cache on GC.com will show you a trail or best way to access a cache.

I usually save it to my favorites file and then you can delete it that way.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I usually save it to my favorites file and then you can delete it that way.
    I will give that a try.

Isn't the problem with the favorites file that you can only delete one at a time? I have many other places in my favorites I would not want to lose.

Plus, memory is limited there IIRC, since it is not on the card.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Looks like lots of great info to be had here. Thanks for the new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    So apparently some members are allowed to "hijack" threads and others are not? Glad we have a hierarchy of members and importance....