vb:literal>

Thread: The oldest caches in New England!

Default The oldest caches in New England!

GC27MHQ

The New England Challenge

A cache by Your New England Reviewers Hidden: 5/3/2010
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Default Let me help post a link...

The New England Challenge (GC27MHQ) by Your New England Reviewers (2/3)

Looks like a fun challenge!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The New England Challenge (GC27MHQ) by Your New England Reviewers (2/3)

Looks like a fun challenge!
    Bucket list!
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Default Oh

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    Bucket list!
    Very cool. I'll definitely be watching this to make sure if I get close to one to do it.

It's not a bucket just a regular size one. The ones I'm putting out are buckets.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Is anyone else picking away at the caches for this challenge?

Lee and I took a trip to Vermont the past few days with the main goal to find the Vermont 1 (GC86) by GPS Guy and Michael McNeany (3/3). This is a nice cache, about a mile from the parking but does require some compass use. Like a dummy I left my compass in the car and tried to use my GPS which normally works great for projections, but the signals had been horrific all day (I am thinking due to the extreme thunderstorms passing through the area) so I ended up going back to get my compass. Even with the compass, pacing off the distances was a bit of a chore and we ended up about 100 feet from the cache. We kept looking around for the obvious locations and eventually stumbled upon it. We have taken longer to find caches that we were right on tiop of so it was not horrible. So if you go to do this one, prepare for it, bring a compass and water and plenty of time to look in case you don't land close to the cache!

Lee had the idea since we had plenty of daylight left and were stopping in NH anyway for the night that we stop and get the NH #1 - Mines Follies (GC9E) by Paul Lamere (2/2). Another nice area, easy enough cache, but it's one of those you need to take the right trails and bridges or you may end up on the wrong side of water. We managed to get there without a bad turn, despite having to drive in a few circles to find a parking area.

Having already done the The Fort Williams Cache (GC128) by Richard Amirault (adopted by kayakerinme) (1/1.5) we now have 3 of the 6, someday we will take a few days to get the MA, CT, and RI caches and be off to the final which is near Manchester, NH.

There's no doubt these two 1st caches we found (Well, 3 counting Fort Williams) are hidden in the original spirit of the game!

We found 15 out of 17 cache attempts in two days, plus two DNAs - Did Not Attempt - One urban one had not been logged since 2007 so we didn't even get out of the car, and the other a 3+ foot diameter tree had fallen down across the road in the recent storms. Some micros, some small, a couple ammo cans, and we skipped by every GRC and LPC - though we did do one GWC with a bit of historical value. A few were nice cemeteries, including one neat old one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8018 (Large).JPG 
Views:	538 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	510  
    Last edited by brdad; 07-24-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

While down in Massachusetts visiting the in-laws, I purposely went to GC74, the oldest cache in Mass. I've already hit the ones in Maine and NH. Three to go!
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Is anyone else picking away at the caches for this challenge?

There's no doubt these two 1st caches we found (Well, 3 counting Fort Williams) are hidden in the original spirit of the game!
    Old school caching. And that's the attraction of the activity.....participate as you wish. Good to hear you and Lee had a great time.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.