vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Searching for caches using the attributes

Default RE: Searching for caches using the attributes

Is it possible using either the data at gc.com or with GSAK to do a search that looks for caches with specific attributes? For example, say I wanted to find all caches in Aroostook County that were accessible by ATVs . . . is this possible to find out?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Yes, the current version of GSAK does that easily. The attribute part is a simple filter. The county is small bit of setup but then it is automatic. There are attributes for off road vehicles and quads.

Of the 244 active caches in the county, 42 have the quad attribute set, 21 have the off road vehicle attribute set, and 17 have both of those attributes set.

If you need any help setting up the county, let me know and I will post instructions.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-04-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Yes - using GSAK/search/filter/attributes.

But people are notoriously sloppy about adding attributes to their cache listings. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Yes - using GSAK/search/filter/attributes.

But people are notoriously sloppy about adding attributes to their cache listings. LOL!
    That is true, but if the person that places the cache has an interest in the attribute's subject, it's more likely they will use the attribute.

In other words, if an avid ATV'er places a cache on a shared trail, there is a good chance he will set the ATV attribute but ignore the bicycle attribute!

I think many of the County ATV caches were placed by ATVers. I think it's a law you have to have an ATV to live up there anyway, isn't it?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Need to add this one to the pet peeve thread. Wouldn't mind if GC.com made it a mandatory piece of information.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Ok Brad . . . let's just pretend for a minute that I'm a complete idiot who lives in Unity, Maine and take me through the steps. I'm looking for caches that are ATV accessible or very close to an ATV trail . . . I realize there probably is no way to determine if a cache is close to a trail, but I figure just screening out the attributes for ATV accessible caches in the County should work.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Ok Brad . . . let's just pretend for a minute that I'm a complete idiot who lives in Unity, Maine and take me through the steps. I'm looking for caches that are ATV accessible or very close to an ATV trail . . . I realize there probably is no way to determine if a cache is close to a trail, but I figure just screening out the attributes for ATV accessible caches in the County should work.
    Oooh ooh, even better idea... is there an ATV trail map online... hmmmm
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

If we can find track files of the ATV trails, it would be super easy to find caches within x number of feet from them. I found some maps, but the resolution is not accurate enough.

You must have a newer version of GSAK to do this, I think at least version 7...

So.... to update the county, load a GPX file into your database and change the settings on the county section of the import screen to YB as shown in the pic. The YB is from the following codes you could use:

U = update user data
    2 = update user data 2
    Y = update county
    B = only update if blank
    F = set user flag, but only if updated
    R = set user flag regardless

So YB just tells GSAK to update the county column (Y) only if blank (B). You will have to uncheck the Use Defaults box to enter the YB.

You should be able to load one GPX file in your database (even if it's one you already loaded), and it should update every cache in your database with the county data.

That's step one!

Last edited by brdad; 05-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Default Setting the attribute filter

Settigng the attribute filter is like setting any other filter. From the Search ... Filter menu, click the Other tab in GSAK. Enter Aroostook in the county box. Spelling counts here!

Then click on the Attribute tab and check the quads check box.

You may want to set other filters (not found, available, etc.), but that does the trick. Just click Go and you should get the list of caches you want!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Oooh ooh, even better idea... is there an ATV trail map online... hmmmm
    There's this map . . . but I'm not sure if this would help you much.

http://www.nmdc.org/ATVMap/ATV_Map_Web.pdf