vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which way do I go?

Default Technology

Just curious what drives people to buy newer and newer GPSr's as they come out? Is it a want for the latest and greatest technology or the feeling that its a necessity? I understand wanting the best because I am this way with my phone but I have a hard time rationalizing with a GPS. Just curious how many of you find yourself using all the extras with the units and ifyou find it taking some of the fun out of things? I stepped up to the 60csx two years ago from just a basic E-trex Legend and this was only due to the fact that I have the issue where i have to tap it when the screen goes out. While I liked being able to actually put more detailed maps on it, I don't really need much else.

What is it for you? Is it holding 5000 caches (who really needs this when you are updating your PQ's on a weekly basis and having to reload anyway?) Is it having satellite views? Is it color screen vs monochrome? Camera included? Mapping views?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Being able to go paperless, able to do werigo, being able to see the screen without glasses, accuracy, easy uploading and being able to connect to a computer, easy on batteries and holding 5000 caches are the selling points for me.

Many times I have gotten to an area and been out of my 500 limit. Thank God for the Nuvi.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Just curious what drives people to buy newer and newer GPSr's as they come out? Is it a want for the latest and greatest technology or the feeling that its a necessity? I understand wanting the best because I am this way with my phone but I have a hard time rationalizing with a GPS. Just curious how many of you find yourself using all the extras with the units and ifyou find it taking some of the fun out of things? I stepped up to the 60csx two years ago from just a basic E-trex Legend and this was only due to the fact that I have the issue where i have to tap it when the screen goes out. While I liked being able to actually put more detailed maps on it, I don't really need much else.

What is it for you? Is it holding 5000 caches (who really needs this when you are updating your PQ's on a weekly basis and having to reload anyway?) Is it having satellite views? Is it color screen vs monochrome? Camera included? Mapping views?
    Currently I cache paperless, but with a Blackberry and the cache with the Garmon GPSMap 60. So, I want to remain paperless and with one device. I'm not interested in smart phone GPS, I've given it a fair shake and I don't like it. The biggest drawback is the amount of memory available on the device, would like to have more.

Besides.....to a small degree, it's an equipment-intensive activity and we all like new toys.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

It's quite obvious I'm not driven by technology, I am still using the same yellow Etrex I bought back in 2000!

Selling points for me are:
    Paperless caching (I currently use the Nuvi for this or my PDA). It would be much handier to have it on the GPS.
    Holding larger numbers of waypoints. It's not unusual for us to intend to take a trip to Portland and end up in Rangely. If I could hold all or most of the data on he GPS, it saves transferring from the laptop so much.

I really don't care much about the maps, except for those times when you'd like a better guess what side of a stream a cache is on. On the units you can use custom maps on, it does intrigue me to have the capability to make custom maps for areas like the Bangor City Forest.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I really don't care much about the maps, except for those times when you'd like a better guess what side of a stream a cache is on. On the units you can use custom maps on, it does intrigue me to have the capability to make custom maps for areas like the Bangor City Forest.
    Doing that with Topo 8, which you can import .gpx files. Saw it a the Eustis event with some printed maps that, I believe, was done by Team Richards.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Doing that with Topo 8, which you can import .gpx files. Saw it a the Eustis event with some printed maps that, I believe, was done by Team Richards.
    Yes. I already have software that can digitize and place markers on any map, like the scanned map of Bangor City Forest shown below. Google Earth/Garmin now makes it so a person can transfer that map right onto compatible units that will overly on the standard maps. Seems like it would be great in areas like BCF where the trail system is not on the standard topo maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bcf.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bcf_overlay.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	483  
    Last edited by brdad; 05-13-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default BCF GPS Users

You can get the trail heads for all the trails in the BCF here but good luck finding anything files for download that actually have all the trails tracks listed. I guess you'd have to walk every single trail and create a track in order to use mapsource or something to create an overlay of the area.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post

My "latest" acquisition was an Explorist 210 . . . and that was purchased several years back . . . in some ways it was a step backwards in tech since I was using (and still use for ATVing/sledding) a color-screen Magellan Meridian.

I don't see myself buying a new GPSr (even though I really, really like the Oregon with the color screen, ability to easily download cache and cache info to the unit and the user-friendly aspects of this unit) . . . at least until my Explorist 210 dies . . . but darn it . . . I keep dropping it and it still works . . . maybe I should let Hiram borrow it for half an hour.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Bass Pro shops is having a sale online. Garmen Gpsmap 60Csx. $199.99 then use a coupon code for $20 off. Add in the $15ish shipping and your in for $199.94. However, its back ordered.

Maybe one of the new Garmin phones? They sure are nice!