vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just had a big scare!!!

Default I just had a big scare!!!

OMG, I go to turn on my gps and it came on for a second, and the screen faded and it shut off. The batteries were new so I go confused. I go get a new set of batteries and same thing. I'm getting nervous now. I'm starting to think of the hassle of send it back and how long till I get it back, did I register it and so on.

I go find my gps backpack and get out my third set of gps food and snap it in. I turn it on and thank god it came up OK (I left it on after my last use) Sigh Deep breath, back to normal

I did however mention nicely to the others that live with me about putting dead batteries back in the battery drawer.

I miss the Energizer Bunny commercials!

But I think we need a breakthrough in battery technology...

I left mine without batteries for a few months (before geocaching!) and the internal battery died. It took a little while with new batteries for it to do anything. Meanwhile, I almost condemned it! Always read the manual before over-reacting! That was a scary moment.

Too bad nobody has come up with a motion based power source like a self-winding watch that works with GPS. I know that whenever mine is on, I'm moving, so....

Default Two words

Rechargable Batteries

I have two sets for my GPS Rs and two sets for my digital camera. They are not expensive any more and the last very well. The fresh set is right in the caching bag, however I rarely find myself changing them on the trail. If you do go that way be sure and change the battery type in your Garmin setup. Go to Main Menu --> Setup --> System and look for battery type. Set it to NiMh. This is for an E-Trex.
    Happy Trails!

d’76 Guest

Solar powered GPSr is my suggestion or a really long extension cord.

If you already have the dc adapter for your GPSr go to US celluler and buy the converter to plug into the wall and while inside use the walloutlet instead of the batteries.

Thanks for the replies, it comes with being a noobie to the hunt. I definetly was uncomfortable with the idea of losing my gps for a while. I guess what I'm saying is I've become addicted. IMHO its a good thing, have a great day

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    Rechargable Batteries

I have two sets for my GPS Rs and two sets for my digital camera. They are not expensive any more and the last very well. The fresh set is right in the caching bag, however I rarely find myself changing them on the trail. If you do go that way be sure and change the battery type in your Garmin setup. Go to Main Menu --> Setup --> System and look for battery type. Set it to NiMh. This is for an E-Trex.
    I don't understand why GPS units don't have an internal rechargeable battery like PDA's do. At home you keep the PDA in the charger and it stays charged, in the car you have it connectd to the "accessory socket" and it stays charged.

Why can't GPS units do this???

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Why can't GPS units do this???
    I was wondering that. I can understand the under $150 range but when you pay more than that sometimes over $400 it should be rechagable and with an option to use disposable if your charge runs out on the extended outdoor trips.

wbdent That would be a nice idea but I think the reason they don't do this is because if you were to be out in the field and using it for a whole day without being able to recharge it then that would be a problem because if it were like a PDA you would not be able to switch batteries when it went dead.
    Blazing Troll