vb:literal>

Thread: Rabies

Default Rabies

It's closer than you might think. Those of you fortunate enough to be able to get your dogs out there with you be aware....

http://www.kjonline.com/news/vassalb...010-05-13.html

Hitting one, such as this man did, isn't really the recommended course of actions I would think.

Maybe this would add a little support to the Cache and Carry thread as well?

Great for a reminder. Here is a link to the stats from last year but remember these are for the ones submitted for testing - many animals with symptoms did not get sent in to the labs for testing.

I am the ACO here in Starks. I had to go out on a call about a mile from my house. 2 farm dogs killed a fox in the lamb pen. I picked up the fox for the wardens and it tested positive for rabies.

Over by Skowhegan a guy let his dog out back on a chain and a raccoon attacked it while it was on a chain. The guy killed the coon and it tested positive too.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Great for a reminder. Here is a link to the stats from last year but remember these are for the ones submitted for testing - many animals with symptoms did not get sent in to the labs for testing.
    I was an ACO for several years, too. Bottom line: if you (or a pet) gets bitten by a raccoon or a skunk, you have to assume it's rabid. The percentage is just too high.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I was an ACO for several years, too. Bottom line: if you (or a pet) gets bitten by a raccoon or a skunk, you have to assume it's rabid. The percentage is just too high.
    Amen to that statement!

In 2007 a series of Rabies vaccine (pre-exposure = before a bite), for humans was $210 per dose - required doses = 3. These are usually received by ACOs, vet techs, wildlife folks, etc - folks who work in the field. Post bite profilaxisis for someone bitten by a rabid animal is usually 10 shots.

And the company which makes the vaccine - there is only one and vaccine is not always in great supply. I, for one, am very careful around animals who may transmit rabies. I, also, strongly believe in vaccinating your domestic animal friends - cats included.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Amen to that statement!

In 2007 a series of Rabies vaccine (pre-exposure = before a bite), for humans was $210 per dose - required doses = 3. These are usually received by ACOs, vet techs, wildlife folks, etc - folks who work in the field. Post bite profilaxisis for someone bitten by a rabid animal is usually 10 shots.

And the company which makes the vaccine - there is only one and vaccine is not always in great supply. I, for one, am very careful around animals who may transmit rabies. I, also, strongly believe in vaccinating your domestic animal friends - cats included.
    And you don't want to know how much the shot post-exposure costs . . . but don't ask me how I know.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."