Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: I need a car GPSr.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    So a GSAK lesson is going to have to be in my future? Ugh. I tried it when I first started caching, but it seemed way too involved the few times I looked at it. In fact, that was the single reason I chose an Oregon, so I didn't have to use it.
    Do you not like to use your Oregon to navigate to caches? I recently heard a cacher say he used his with a dash mount and was happy doing that. With the right maps, you can use the Oregon to navigate just as you would with a Nuvi.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    china,maine
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Do you not like to use your Oregon to navigate to caches? I recently heard a cacher say he used his with a dash mount and was happy doing that. With the right maps, you can use the Oregon to navigate just as you would with a Nuvi.
    I have City Navigator on the laptop and you can navigate with that. TRF has the same program on the handheld and we have used that to navigate before.In one instance it was better than the nuvi!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,542

    Default

    This is a topic I have been dealing with for a while now. With my memory problems and complete lack of direction or should I say uncanny ability to go completely opposite of the way I should be going, I rely on my car navigation tremendously.

    I have had a Nuvi for two years now and with the help of Lexmano I use it to go paperless. It is amazing how a device that cost only $100 is able to hold all the caches in New England and beyond paperless. I really like the way it operates the maps and the accuracy. The down side is it is expensive to upgrade the maps and way harder than it needs to be.

    I also had Tom Tom. It was a good unit. The big plus is that the maps update free and every time you plug it into the computer. I just like the Nuvi better.

    Now as far as GSAK goes, that is something that you should get even without the Car navigation system. It is a wonderful, versatile, easy to use program. I use it more and more every day. I can give you help with setting it up and working it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Freeport, Maine
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Do you not like to use your Oregon to navigate to caches? I recently heard a cacher say he used his with a dash mount and was happy doing that. With the right maps, you can use the Oregon to navigate just as you would with a Nuvi.
    I've loaded the street maps on there and it works great; I've used it to street navigate since I got it. But it would be nice to be able to navigate with the car GPS while reading about the cache on the handheld (all single handedly of course ) so when I get to the gz I'm ready to jump out and find the cache in record time! Looks like I'll be taking someone/s up on the GSAK lessons.

    So final question just to clarify, would there be any advantage or disadvantage to getting a TomTom or a Garmin when I use a Garmin handheld already? Or does one have nothing to do with the other?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    I've loaded the street maps on there and it works great; I've used it to street navigate since I got it. But it would be nice to be able to navigate with the car GPS while reading about the cache on the handheld (all single handedly of course ) so when I get to the gz I'm ready to jump out and find the cache in record time! Looks like I'll be taking someone/s up on the GSAK lessons.

    So final question just to clarify, would there be any advantage or disadvantage to getting a TomTom or a Garmin when I use a Garmin handheld already? Or does one have nothing to do with the other?
    Are you folks going to make it to Relay this year??? If so - I am sure with a couple of laptops Brad could show you the ins and outs. He has the TomTom - I have the Garmin.........etc. Unless of course you want to make a choice earlier.

    Can't wait to see you - ooh, lahhh laahhh I wished I knew the laps already.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    So a GSAK lesson is going to have to be in my future? Ugh. I tried it when I first started caching, but it seemed way too involved the few times I looked at it. In fact, that was the single reason I chose an Oregon, so I didn't have to use it.
    Trust me if I can figure it out eventually, anyone can since I am pretty close to being a technological idiot.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    416

    Default

    We have a Nuvi 1300 and I was able to find out how do use it for paperless caching in an evening. There are pages out there about the macros you can use on GSAK for this. Now the only pages I print out are puzzle ones that I need to write notes on. We have a database that has all of the caches we have not done within about 20 miles. Just keep in mind that if you keep your alerts on, you will get an annoying BING! everytime you go by a cache. However, you do have the option of turning alerts off or setting the distance. OR you can say "I am going to keep getting these BINGS until I get some of these caches." Now trust me, that is motivation.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,542

    Default Bing Bong

    Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    We have a Nuvi 1300 and I was able to find out how do use it for paperless caching in an evening. There are pages out there about the macros you can use on GSAK for this. Now the only pages I print out are puzzle ones that I need to write notes on. We have a database that has all of the caches we have not done within about 20 miles. Just keep in mind that if you keep your alerts on, you will get an annoying BING! everytime you go by a cache. However, you do have the option of turning alerts off or setting the distance. OR you can say "I am going to keep getting these BINGS until I get some of these caches." Now trust me, that is motivation.
    You can also shut certain caches off by using the flag option in GSAK. I live in the "Puzzler's" territory, so there are many mystery caches that will not be done right away. I flag these and when I run the macro, those will not show up in the Nuvi.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Freeport, Maine
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    OR you can say "I am going to keep getting these BINGS until I get some of these caches." Now trust me, that is motivation.
    If I left that feature enabled in Dawn's car, she'd never make it home at night. Who knows where she'd end up following that?

  10. #20

    Default

    I have a Nuvi 1300 for simple day to day navigation and for FTF runs..... however for the best road navigation, gotta go the laptop route. I have a RAM LapTop mount in the Jeep with my Netbook hooked up to a power converter for juice, and running a Delorme LT-40 on the dashboard through Delorme Street Atlas 2010 Plus, and Delorme TOPO 8.0, and GSAK running as well. I keep a GZ file of every cache in Maine in the mapping programs and get a nice wide view of the surrounding area as I drive so I can gauge where to head for the caches....

    Barry has a similar, but better set up in his rig as I am sure you know. He runs Garmin software on his touch screen tablet PC which is quite impressive in person....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •