vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumpin' GPS, Batman! PN-40 ?

From the Garmin Wiki -

M1.) How do I master reset my Garmin Oregon?

Turn off the Oregon, press and hold the upper left corner of the screen and power the unit on. You will eventually be asked if you want to reset user data. If you answer "Yes" the unit will be master reset.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    From the Garmin Wiki -

M1.) How do I master reset my Garmin Oregon?

Turn off the Oregon, press and hold the upper left corner of the screen and power the unit on. You will eventually be asked if you want to reset user data. If you answer "Yes" the unit will be master reset.
    no kiddin, will that wipe it complete back to the way it came out of the box? or will it leave all the maps I have loaded?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Just because the Oregon was perfectly on at GZ means nothing.... gotta remember that Half Mile was probably placed using an older GPS and the cords may not have been that great so who knows which unit was better for accuracy on that trip? Cords are only as good as the cacher/unit that placed the cache.... try comparing GPS units on a new cache or one that I placed ;-) ha ha

That NVM reset will not wipe any maps, or user date. It will leave all maps, all waypoints, all tracks, the current firmware and all caches on it. It will just wipe and reset the sat file.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    We will keep that in mind on the newest one. I'll be meeting up with her to get her going on GSAK and loading the caches and all that great stuff. Maybe we can even find her first one.

Do you think it will weather well?

On the group trek we just did I enjoyed seeing the different units in action. The PN-40 was right on right with all the other ones. The only one that surprised me was the Oregon. The first stage of Half Mile had everyone except the Oregon off by 25 feet. Only the Oregon zeroed out at GZ.
    Will it weather well? The PN-40 is amazing in inclement weather, it also floats and is water tight

Almost all hand held GPSrs are rated in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. While some units may exceed that rating more than others, I'd have to see proof before I made claims two GPSrs with the same rating are much different. Even the Nuvi 500 series meets this rating; most if not all other Nuvis are rated 0. Even my 'Ol Yeller had the rating when it was new; I think it's been downgraded after 10 years of hard use and a few of my modifications, but it's still *mostly* water resistant.

0 Non protected, No special protection
    1 Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes. Unit is placed in its normal operating position.
    2 Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees. Same as (1) above but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions - tilted 15 degree in each direction from normal operating position.
    3 Protected against spraying water, Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a gauge pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.
    4 Protected against splashing water. Same as level 3 but water is sprayed at all angles.
    5 Protected against water jets Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a gauge pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
    6 Protected against heavy seas. Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a gauge pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
    7 Protected against water immersion. Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.
    8 Protected against water submersion The equipment is suitable for continuous submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by brdad; 05-20-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

what firmware are you running on the PN-40? you should be running at least 2.6. I have had no problems with mine. Make sure to calibrate the compass whenever you replace batteries or at the start of each day. Also get over to the DeLorme Forums and ask questions about your problem. Their tech guys monitor the forums and are more than helpful and very quick to reply!

NVM reset! Thats what Frank told me to do. Didn't help. Emailed amazon.com. They sent me a new PN40 (to replace the week old PN40) right away. I have given the lastest PN40 a quick test drive and the performance is much closer to the first one. Doesnt jump around at all so far. TY for all of your help!