vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumpin' GPS, Batman! PN-40 ?

Hybrid View

Question Jumpin' GPS, Batman! PN-40 ?

I am on my second PN 40. My first was lost in a bushwacking cache hike. The first unit had problems with freezing up, but was absolutely accurate, often leading me right to the hide. The new unit jumps all over the place. My DNF's are rapidly increasing to the point I am not even reporting them. When I was out last after the events yest, I did seveal caches. Last last one was the ultimate test, We've aLL Bean caching. I say this because there is wide open sky there. No trees, mountains, etc. I would take one step and the pn-40 would tell me that the cache went from .64 feet away to over 29 feet away. I can turn myself 90 degrees and my cache distance will increase incredibly! The arrow does not keep up with my change in direction. When driving, I can drive for several miles and the screen is still back at the last turn! I have the latest firmware, batteries are fresh and inicator set to lithium. compass has been recalibrated. Should I be sending this one back? Calling Delorme? Is there something I missed. Wanted to stick with Delorme because I do a lot of solo kayaking and like the maps for lakes.

sounds like you may need to recalibrate the unit...look for that on one of the menus...I'll have to look at mine to remember...

I just received a direct email from Frank and have done 'something' (sorry, I am tech delayed). But it reset the unit and it now picks up satalites from my deck which the first did but this one would not. Tomorrow I will cache in the morning and test out the stabliity and post later in the day. Thanks guys!

Update. Did reset 3X. went out caching for 3 hours. GPS jumped all over the place. At one point, I took one step forward and it added 29 feet to the distance from the cache! Then I noticed that even if I didn't move, it would add or subtract distances. I decided to see how far this would go, so I hung the gps in a tree and went to look for the cache. Came back 10 minutes later and the distance from the cache had increased from 10' to 15' without the gps moving at all. Think it needs to be exchanged?

Mmmmmmmmm...........GARMIN!

Where the hell is that thing?

Hopefully your Delorme doesn't start randomly deleting downloaded caches before you even get to look for them like mine does.

NVM reset is the best way to fix any and all issues with the PN-40.... it keeps your settings and caches and waypoints and current firmware, but resets the sats..... hold the menu and page key when you power the unit up until you get a bright blue screen then go through the menus to NVM reset and then restart the sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    NVM reset is the best way to fix any and all issues with the PN-40.... it keeps your settings and caches and waypoints and current firmware, but resets the sats..... hold the menu and page key when you power the unit up until you get a bright blue screen then go through the menus to NVM reset and then restart the sucker.
    We will keep that in mind on the newest one. I'll be meeting up with her to get her going on GSAK and loading the caches and all that great stuff. Maybe we can even find her first one.

Do you think it will weather well?

On the group trek we just did I enjoyed seeing the different units in action. The PN-40 was right on right with all the other ones. The only one that surprised me was the Oregon. The first stage of Half Mile had everyone except the Oregon off by 25 feet. Only the Oregon zeroed out at GZ.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Never had any of those troubles with a garmin... never had to jump through the hoops of resetting one either...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Never had any of those troubles with a garmin... never had to jump through the hoops of resetting one either...
    I'm not even sure you can reset a Garmin, short of updating the firmware? It's almost like Delorme knew they were going to need it, so they built a reset feature into it. Maybe they should make the reset feature a lever on the side like a slot machine; you pull the lever and if you win the GPSr resets and works.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."